Water features in enclosures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
I have 2 beautiful koi ponds in my yard. I am trying to plan an outdoor enclosure for my sulcatas. I know they can't swim, but has anyone ever put a very shallow pond with a waterfall in an enclosure? If so, I would love to see a picture. I want to plan this over the winter so that I am all ready come spring! Thanks!

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
i can't offer much help but i wanted to say this sounds like a challenging and fun project.

T-P

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Coventry, England
It has been done, and been successful, if its shallow, with nothing but water in then the tortoises can go in and soak when outdoors.
No fish can be in there mind you =]

some tortoises drink rain water from muddy puddles, i knwo afew that have tortoises outdoors in summer if it rains a lil they drink from the muddy puddles or the rainwater in their dishes.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Thanks so much - you are a wealth of info to me answering my different posts!

Vegas Chad

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
They will love a small soak pond... I burry a shallow plactic tub because I dont want to mess with other stuff then stack rocks around and in it to look like a small pong full of rocks... I also run a water line from my watering system to top it off every day.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Go to Picasa Web Albums and look under Turtle Girl . She has the most beautiful shallow pond in her turtle enclosure you have ever seen. Her whole turtle pen is unbelievable. The pictures are so great. You will want to copy it.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I cant locate it under the Picasa site. It brings up 28 options...
I did see a pic of a yard with a shallow pond and a beutiful set up.. I dont recall what site it was ontho... Keep searching.. and yes, it can be done!

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
Well terryo, I looked all over that sight and couldn't find it! If you find it again, let me know! Thanks for your effort!

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
jlyoncc1 said:
Well terryo, I looked all over that sight and couldn't find it! If you find it again, let me know! Thanks for your effort!

Too bad baecause these are just beautiful for a box or tortoise. I could e-mail them if you send your e-mail adress...mine is [email protected] Wait....maybe I could copy and paste in my photo album, and then send them. I will try now.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
terryo said:
jlyoncc1 said:

Too bad baecause these are just beautiful for a box or tortoise. I could e-mail them if you send your e-mail adress...mine is [email protected] Wait....maybe I could copy and paste in my photo album, and then send them. I will try now.

OK here goes. They are not mine, I just saw them on a photo site.

Attachments

• IMG_1194.jpg
    IMG_1194.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_1140.jpg
    IMG_1140.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1149.jpg
    IMG_1149.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_1144.jpg
    IMG_1144.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1163.jpg
    IMG_1163.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 83

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
These are some of them. I couldn't post all of them. You will have to e-mail me if you want to see the rest. That is all I could post.

drummerkid1993

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
sound like a good idea

toroise will drink straight from the founain but im a little worrie about it getting blocked and then getting too deep.

is there a possiblity of this?

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
With a pond, it is a continuous circulation of the same water. You use a pump and filter system. Sort of like in a fish tank. So, the water does not accumulate.

drummerkid1993

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
jlyoncc1 said:
With a pond, it is a continuous circulation of the same water. You use a pump and filter system. Sort of like in a fish tank. So, the water does not accumulate.

thats great

(congrats on 100 posts)

TurtleTown@Cal

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Jailed at U.C. Berkeley
I will have to find the pics on my other computer, but I made a 24" tall waterfall and pond out of fiberglass for my boxies. It cost around $300 in materials, but it was well worth it! I put a fogger in the middle pond and the fog glides down the last casscade and all around the tank.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
I would love to see pics of that. I am accumulating some good ideas to put in place come spring. I am anxious to get started. But, being I am watching the snow come down right now, I will have to wait!

Status
Not open for further replies.