Water lettuce?

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
I Throw at least 20 water lettuce plants away every weekend. Seems a waste. They just do too well in my pond. I heard water hyacinth is ok. Has Any body ever fed water lettuce to your tortoises?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I got different results from a GOOGLE search. Some said it belongs to the astericae family and is edible and others say it belongs to the philodendron family, and supposedly not edible. However, forest tortoises seem to be able to eat plants from this family with no ill effects. I would say that if you offer it and the tortoise eats it, you can probably make it be a part of your varied diet.

acrantophis

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
I got different results from a GOOGLE search. Some said it belongs to the astericae family and is edible and others say it belongs to the philodendron family, and supposedly not edible. However, forest tortoises seem to be able to eat plants from this family with no ill effects. I would say that if you offer it and the tortoise eats it, you can probably make it be a part of your varied diet.

Thanks Yvonne! They look delicious!

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
I know my goldfish devour them with impunity, and every time I have thrown them in with my Reeve's turtle he has eaten them all quite quickly.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Turtles do love them. The water hyacinths I have fed to the tortoises before with no problems. They do have a high water content, so you would need to limit the amounts you fed.

Status
Not open for further replies.