Waterprof?

Status
Not open for further replies.

leonardo the tmnt

5 Year Member
Hi: it's been a long time since I posted. I have been too busy. but I was able to build a Wooden enclosure for my sulcata tortoises. but I would like to know what is a good non toxic way to make my enclousure water proof?

luke

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
I guess it will depend on how your enclosures dimensions. I'm guessing you want to be able to just pour water right into your enclosure. Around here a lot of folks use plastic liners or shower curtains. I've also seen what looks like linoleum used on some larger enclosures. I prefer to use fiberglass epoxy, and just spread it all across the bottom and about 8 inches up the sides all the way around the enclosure. Then I use Spar urithane along the rest of the wall.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Any lead free boat paint will seal the wood. Of course you will want to use silicon on the seams. Go low emission if at all possible. With heat and moisture, often times toxins are released into the enclosure that would not be a problem when used as the manufactures intended.

Thalatte

5 Year Member
3-4 coats of polyurethane and then don't put the tortoise in the enclosure until all the fumes are gone. This will leave ye wood weather proof and waterproof as long as there isn't a huge amount if standing water on it.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
Rhino-Liner paint for the bed of your Truck works wonders and is Sulcata proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.