Waterproof plastic tortoise table vs waterproof wooden tortoise table

Ben1233546

5 Year Member
A while back I got a new tortoise table built, I lined it with plastic pond liner and roof liner to try and make it water waterproof as possible. Unfortunately, as time went on water got through and now the wood on the base of the tortoise table is starting to get mould on it (starting to worry it is impacting the health of my tortoise, even though the mold is not directly exposed to the air around her).

I'm looking at getting a new tortoise table, I'm wanting it to be waterproof, so I was looking at getting a plastic table/tub, problem is it is very hard to locate a plastic tub that matches the right diameters and I will then have to figure out how to attach a UV fluorescent tube to go across the top of the plastic table/tub. My other option is to get another wooden tortoise table built, but try and water tight it with some form of waterproof sealant. My concern with the plastic table is that microplastic could eventually work its way into the food and water of my redfoot?

My question is, what is recommended on this forum, try to get a plastic table and modify it to match my needs or go with a wooden table and use a waterproof sealant? If the wooden table option is the best, what sort of waterproof sealant is recommended ?

Thank you for any help.

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Extruded PVC 4' by 8' panels that they sell at home Depot. I learned about them after I built my wood and pond liner enclosure 🤯

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A while back I got a new tortoise table built, I lined it with plastic pond liner and roof liner to try and make it water waterproof as possible. Unfortunately, as time went on water got through and now the wood on the base of the tortoise table is starting to get mould on it (starting to worry it is impacting the health of my tortoise, even though the mold is not directly exposed to the air around her).

I'm looking at getting a new tortoise table, I'm wanting it to be waterproof, so I was looking at getting a plastic table/tub, problem is it is very hard to locate a plastic tub that matches the right diameters and I will then have to figure out how to attach a UV fluorescent tube to go across the top of the plastic table/tub. My other option is to get another wooden tortoise table built, but try and water tight it with some form of waterproof sealant. My concern with the plastic table is that microplastic could eventually work its way into the food and water of my redfoot?

My question is, what is recommended on this forum, try to get a plastic table and modify it to match my needs or go with a wooden table and use a waterproof sealant? If the wooden table option is the best, what sort of waterproof sealant is recommended ?

Thank you for any help.
A redfoot needs to be in a closed chamber, not an open table.

Animal Plastics makes 4x8 foot chambers, or you could build your own if you are handy that way. the expanded PVC sheets that black dog mentioned are the way to go. Its the same material that PVC drinking water pipes are made with. Non-toxic and inert.

Ben1233546

5 Year Member
A redfoot needs to be in a closed chamber, not an open table.

Animal Plastics makes 4x8 foot chambers, or you could build your own if you are handy that way. the expanded PVC sheets that black dog mentioned are the way to go. Its the same material that PVC drinking water pipes are made with. Non-toxic and inert.

I was looking at getting a proper vivarium, but unfortunately I just don't have the correct space/environment to support it, once I get the correct space I will look into getting a vivarium. I was thinking of covering parts of the table with some form of plastic sheets to help keep the humidity in.

I live in the UK, so getting something from Animal Plastics will be difficult. I was speaking to a joiner about building the table for me, and he said about building a wooden base but line it with plastic perspex to make it water tight, is this something that sounds good? It is hardened plastic so should be durable for a long time and will keep water away from the wood.

Ben1233546

5 Year Member
Extruded PVC 4' by 8' panels that they sell at home Depot. I learned about them after I built my wood and pond liner enclosure 🤯

will look into the extruded PVC sheets. The guy I was speaking to about building the table for me recommended using a wooden table base but line it with plastic perspex to keep it water tight, is this something that sounds plausible while also keeping the tortoise's health in mind? From my understanding, it's durable and won't emit any chemicals when abraded?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I was looking at getting a proper vivarium, but unfortunately I just don't have the correct space/environment to support it, once I get the correct space I will look into getting a vivarium.
A viv or an open table can have the same footprint. One has a top and one doesn't, but same dimensions other than that.

You cannot maintain that correct conditions for a RF with an open table, and attempting this will lead to serious pyramiding and a terrible waste of electricity. Using a large closed chamber will make your life so much easier, and your tortoise's life so much better.

The perspex idea can work, but here are the potential issues I see:
1. It will be very slick to walk on. A thick substrate layer will help with that.
2. Expensive.
3. The slightest gap will allow water to leak onto the wood.

Please go into your UserCP and add a location for us. This will get you better advice, so people like me don't recommend companies and products that are not available in your country, and people who are in your country can share what has worked for them as far as sourcing tortoise supplies.