Watery poop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe law

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Malaysia
Hai there, my ST TOTO poop vary watery since yesterday.. What should I do ? :(.. NEED HELP ASAP...! Thanks

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
How long have you add him/her ?
What is there diet like?
Have they ate something they shouldn't have lately?

Mephitis

5 Year Member
18° 58′ 30″ N, 72° 49′ 33″ E
Joe law said:
Hai there, my ST TOTO poop vary watery since yesterday.. What should I do ? :(.. NEED HELP ASAP...! Thanks

What could be the approximate age of the tortoise? Also, if you could answer the following questions:

1. If it has been eating properly.
2. Diet. (Any change post which you have noticed the watery feces)

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
I agree, if you have recently got the tortoise, and changed the diet from what it was being fead....this will happen....
Theyre poop will go through 'crappy' changes to get right.
My recent acquired tortoise is doing the same! :p

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
It could be the diet and it could also be caused by parasites, a swab would sort that out..

Joe law

5 Year Member
Malaysia
bikerchicspain said:
It could be the diet and it could also be caused by parasites, a swab would sort that out..

What is swab ?

Mephitis said:
Joe law said:

What could be the approximate age of the tortoise? Also, if you could answer the following questions:

1. If it has been eating properly.
2. Diet. (Any change post which you have noticed the watery feces)

About 1 yrs old.since last two days he doesn't eat that much. Diet is long bean and Iceberg lettuce.. The pet shop also feel him long bean too..I just move him outside the house last two day too

Joe law

5 Year Member
Malaysia
Yash Raj said:
No Iceberg Lettuce !

:(.... What should I do next.. I just move him outside too ( new table ) HELP...he just stay there not moving at all ( not active ) ..

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Change your diet. Your diet is seriously lacking fiber, vitamins, and calcium. Star tortoises need a diet high in fiber, rich in calcium, low in protein and low in sugar. You need to stop feeding him what you're feeding him now and get him on a new diet ASAP (as soon as possible). Iceberg lettuce (low nutrients and just a filler) and green beans (high protein, bad calcium:phosphorus ratio) are basically 2 very bad (if not the worst) things you can feed a star tortoise. No calcium supplements??? He needs something like calcium carbonate, which is a powder you can get a any health store. Dust that on all of his meals. The pet store diet is also equally horrible, and I doubt he was getting any vitamins or minerals. You need a diet with flowers, grass, dark leafy greens, weeds, and cactus pads. Some good flowers to feed are hibiscus. You can feed leaves and flower pedals.
dc_o_hibiscus.jpg

Geraniums also work quite well, and the leaves and pedals are also edible to tortoises.
Geranium_CloseUp.jpg

Salad mix can be bought at the grocery store (no iceberg salad or spinach).
Here's a good weed to feed:
Plantago%20major.jpg

It's called Plantago major (or buckhorn plantain). It's found worldwide and has a great calcium to phosphorous ratio of 20:1 (you want food with less phosphorous and more calcium). Dandelions are also a good additive. Stars need to be fed grass; regular lawn grass is perfectly okay. Cactus pads should only be opuntia cactus, and their fruit also makes a good treat.

SulcataSquirt

5 Year Member
Missouri
Pretty sure the runny poo is from the iceberg lettuce, theirs alot of water content to very little greens so their isnt anything their to firm it up. your tortoise needs variety also or he will get bored and only eat when hes starving. I would try to find the commercial zoo tortoise food called Mazuri tortoise diet if you have that over their, and add that into a new greens diet.

Mephitis

5 Year Member
18° 58′ 30″ N, 72° 49′ 33″ E
Joe law said:
Yash Raj said:
No Iceberg Lettuce !

:(.... What should I do next.. I just move him outside too ( new table ) HELP...he just stay there not moving at all ( not active ) ..

Lawn grass from the gardens would do. Wash it well, chop and feed.

What kind of vegetables/leafy greens are available in your area? Since you'd have to immediately switch the diet over to something good, I'd suggest looking for Romaine Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Radish Greens, Okra (little amounts) and Carrot (little amounts). Rose petals and Hibiscus flowers/leaves can be fed too. Ideally, keep varying the diet.

You could grow wheat grass (very easy to grow!) and feed it to the tortoise (not the seeds). This is a picture of the wheat grass I'm growing at my place. Have 6 more pots like these. =P

34zGo.jpg

Keep reading a lot about 'em. That is what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks since I've kept my tortoise. Alternatively, look for Timothy hay bags at pet stores.

There is a lot more you can feed your guy, but this would help you kick start things for now. Post if in doubt. =)

Joe law

5 Year Member
Malaysia
tortoises101 said:
Change your diet. Your diet is seriously lacking fiber, vitamins, and calcium. Star tortoises need a diet high in fiber, rich in calcium, low in protein and low in sugar. You need to stop feeding him what you're feeding him now and get him on a new diet ASAP (as soon as possible). Iceberg lettuce (low nutrients and just a filler) and green beans (high protein, bad calcium:phosphorus ratio) are basically 2 very bad (if not the worst) things you can feed a star tortoise. No calcium supplements??? He needs something like calcium carbonate, which is a powder you can get a any health store. Dust that on all of his meals. The pet store diet is also equally horrible, and I doubt he was getting any vitamins or minerals. You need a diet with flowers, grass, dark leafy greens, weeds, and cactus pads. Some good flowers to feed are hibiscus. You can feed leaves and flower pedals.
dc_o_hibiscus.jpg

Geraniums also work quite well, and the leaves and pedals are also edible to tortoises.
Geranium_CloseUp.jpg

Salad mix can be bought at the grocery store (no iceberg salad or spinach).
Here's a good weed to feed:
Plantago%20major.jpg

It's called Plantago major (or buckhorn plantain). It's found worldwide and has a great calcium to phosphorous ratio of 20:1 (you want food with less phosphorous and more calcium). Dandelions are also a good additive. Stars need to be fed grass; regular lawn grass is perfectly okay. Cactus pads should only be opuntia
cactus, and their fruit also makes a good treat.

Thanks a lot...!

Mephitis said:
Joe law said:
Yash Raj said:
No Iceberg Lettuce !

Lawn grass from the gardens would do. Wash it well, chop and feed.

What kind of vegetables/leafy greens are available in your area? Since you'd have to immediately switch the diet over to something good, I'd suggest looking for Romaine Lettuce, Red Leaf Lettuce, Radish Greens, Okra (little amounts) and Carrot (little amounts). Rose petals and Hibiscus flowers/leaves can be fed too. Ideally, keep varying the diet.
You could grow wheat grass (very easy to grow!) and feed it to the tortoise (not the seeds). This is a picture of the wheat grass I'm growing at my place. Have 6 more pots like these. =P

34zGo.jpg

Keep reading a lot about 'em. That is what I have been doing for the last 2 weeks since I've kept my tortoise. Alternatively, look for Timothy hay bags at pet stores.

There is a lot more you can feed your guy, but this would help you kick start things for now. Post if in doubt. =)

Thanks a lot :tort:

tyler0912

5 Year Member
Blackburn, U.K.
SulcataSquirt said:
Pretty sure the runny poo is from the iceberg lettuce, theirs alot of water content to very little greens so their isnt anything their to firm it up. your tortoise needs variety also or he will get bored and only eat when hes starving. I would try to find the commercial zoo tortoise food called Mazuri tortoise diet if you have that over their, and add that into a new greens diet.

I agree this is why it has runny poops...No fibre to harden it up.

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
When I said a swab, it's when you do a fecal swab, so get some of the poop and take it to your vet to have a look to see if there are any parasites.

Joe law

5 Year Member
Malaysia
bikerchicspain said:
When I said a swab, it's when you do a fecal swab, so get some of the poop and take it to your vet to have a look to see if there are any parasites.

Ok...:D

Status
Not open for further replies.