We’ve come so far

Sterant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Albany, NY
A friend of mine is an HVAC guy and does the work at my house and business. He has been in and out of my tortoise room for 20 years and about 5 years ago started asking me to sell him a couple radiated hatchlings for his boys to raise. At the time his boys were 7 years old. Since I know him and knew he wouldn’t pay any attention to the tortoises once he bought them, I kept telling him”not yet”. When his boys were 9, I finally agreed. I took his credit card, ordered an Animal Plastics closed chamber and all the right stuff to go in it. I delivered it all to his boys Christmas Eve after I had run it for a couple weeks. I gave them an hour long lecture on what a fantastic gift they had been given and the responsibility that comes with it - along with how to care for them.
I told them that everything I was saying was important but the most important thing was to keep the substrate damp and the humidity above 85%. They live rather far away so I didn’t check on them in person. Three years later (last week) they sent me this picture.
These 2 kids raised two beautifully smooth tortoises with basically one rule....keep the humidity up.
This speaks volumes. Great job boys!
19CE048D-DFE9-4C35-A029-5CDF98671E0A.jpeg

Chubbs the tegu

Ma
A friend of mine is an HVAC guy and does the work at my house and business. He has been in and out of my tortoise room for 20 years and about 5 years ago started asking me to sell him a couple radiated hatchlings for his boys to raise. At the time his boys were 7 years old. Since I know him and knew he wouldn’t pay any attention to the tortoises once he bought them, I kept telling him”not yet”. When his boys were 9, I finally agreed. I took his credit card, ordered an Animal Plastics closed chamber and all the right stuff to go in it. I delivered it all to his boys Christmas Eve after I had run it for a couple weeks. I gave them an hour long lecture on what a fantastic gift they had been given and the responsibility that comes with it - along with how to care for them.
I told them that everything I was saying was important but the most important thing was to keep the substrate damp and the humidity above 85%. They live rather far away so I didn’t check on them in person. Three years later (last week) they sent me this picture.
These 2 kids raised two beautifully smooth tortoises with basically one rule....keep the humidity up.
View attachment 313454
Gorgeous man

zovick

10 Year Member!
View attachment 313454
Very nice job raising those tortoises. Kudos to the instructor, too.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
View attachment 313454

WOW! What a GREAT example for others?!