we adopted a senior dog

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh WOW, I missed so much on here.
First so very sorry. Nothing like a canine family member and nothing like the loss of that canine family member.
So very happy though that you decided to let another one in. They are a high energy breed. Very smart and well behaved when not left to get bored.
Congrats and enjoy.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Has your pup come to live with you yet?

Yes! He arrived from Idaho last night at 9:30 pm. :D

We let the kids stay awake to play with him a bit ;) & finally got to bed around 11. Took him out at 2am for a potty break then he was up for good (and I was up) at 5. Been a day full of playing, cuddling, chew toys, naps (for the pup, lucky) and potty breaks LOL

He seems like a perfect fit into our family. He has a few similarities to Muttley & it warms our hearts but yet also uniquely Axle and oh, how we have fallen in love.

It's good to have a family pooch again :)

20180409_083213.jpg
20180409_074932.jpg

20180409_071009.jpg

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
So very sorry for the loss of dear Muttley.
Rest in peace sweet boy.
And much joy and happiness with baby Axle.
Both are beauties! We don't deserve dogs.
Perfect angels, all.

I must check TFO more often. Just caught up.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
This guy is keeping me very busy!

Potty training, baby gates, the crate, toys of every kind and in every pup approved area, late night potty breaks, socializing, overcoming fearfulness, treats, the leash, monitoring the new diet, holes in my favorite pants, riding in the car, learning to ignore chickens, running from the tortoise, watching the vacuum, smelling everything.... I'm tired LOL

But he sure is cute!
20180412_185906.jpg
20180412_123615.jpg
20180413_130639.jpg
20180410_101336.jpg

I know that all the hard work I'm putting in now, will pay off later ;) but whew, I'm tired!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Axle is now 9 months old!!

It has been (and still is) a lot of work but I can see the fruits of my labor. :)

20181022_165139.jpg

He loves his ball. He would chase it until his heart exploded if I let him.
He catches the frisbee now and has a long & growing list of show tricks. We are even working on a "yes and no" questions bit!

20181020_115420.jpg

And we made it through the neuter with no issues!
2018-09-17-10-19-41.jpg

coshepard

Ladera Ranch
..or should I say he adopted us?

On April 2nd a big, black stray dog approached us as we had a picnic lunch on the front lawn. He was an old guy, calm and gentle so we let him hang around us. I have 2 little boys so usually I keep any strays (and people's loose dogs that crap everywhere) at bay.
We gave him some water and he politely sat to the side while we ate. We spent the next hour or 2 playing with him in the front yard while I checked online lost/found ads since he didn't have a collar.
He was chunky, so I knew he wasn't a stray for long but he was filthy!

My 6 year old had soccer practice and we ride our bikes the mile or 2 to the field. He totally followed us there! He seemed so content in our company. I even got compliments on what a well behaved off leash dog we had. Haha. They were shocked when I told them he followed us!
We decided to keep him with us and try to find his owners. We posted a "found" ad and planned to call animal control the following day to scan for a micro chip.

The next morning we got a call from his owners after they saw my ad. They are an older couple and live in our neighborhood, only 8 houses away!
We met up with them that night and learned his story...

His name is Muttley because he's a mutt. He's 11 years old and they've had him since he was a puppy. He grew up with their 3 kids who are all grown and out of the house now. The dad worked at a shop and took him to work everyday.
Recently, the dad got a new job and Muttley couldn't go to work with him anymore. He was kept in the side yard/converted dog kennel all day everyday and started digging out to escape.
We had fallen in love with this dog and since we were neighbors, it was said that we could still walk him. They gave us permission to take him whenever we wanted.
It started off with just daily walks, then spending the whole day with us, then occasional sleepovers....Lol (don't worry the owners knew!)

Fast forward, the owners want us to keep him! They see how much we love him AND how much Muttley loves being part of our family.

We had planned to get a family dog this winter. We were on a wait list with a breeder for a rough collie puppy. But it looks like our family dog came early!

We love him so much. I know he will enjoy his golden years with us! ...and we hope his golden years stretch out a bit ;)

My leopard tortoise has the backyard and Muttley lives in the house with us with supervised potty breaks. When we leave the house (and he can't come with us) he's either in the garage or he goes to his 1st owners side yard/kennel. Which by the way has been improved to prevent more escapes!
Eventually we will put a side yard fence up so the dog can be kept separate from the tort when we are gone.

Here are some photos!

View attachment 131658

View attachment 131661

Ok, practically every photo with him has my kids in it, too! Let me do some editing and then I'll post more pics ;)
That is so nice! I feel so happy for muttlly!:)