we adopted a senior dog

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
My first dog, The sheltie cross, took it, it wasn't officially awarded but it had all the tests in it. It was actually put on by some guide dog trainers, but my dog happens to be there so she did it. Even more amazing, she was totally deaf at the time. I can't remember all of the things she did, but some of it included me being out of her sight for a certain amount of time. And of course lots of distractions. And I think it was all off leash if I remember right. She passed it with no problem. My second dog has no chance in the world :) but I still love her.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I have a few feelers out for who offers the test. Just waiting to confirm a location. We've already studied the 10 parts to the test and Muttley passes them all with no issues...so he's a shoe in!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, it's totally obvious that this poor dog needed to be with an active family. What a lucky break he found you and you kept him.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Muttley update:
Our rental lease was up at the end of September. We asked our landlord if we could renew with the dog and she said no. So, it's packing time! We definitely choose to keep Muttley and ditch the house. Ya, it's a super awesome, beautiful house but it's nothing without Muttley!

Muttley, do you have any idea how much you are loved??

Chowing on freshly hunted elk ribs..
0915151357-1.jpg

My 6 year olds art project.. He made Muttley!
(Yes we are those who don't post our photos online anywhere...)
2015-10-06_21.47.45.jpg

My sweet boy..
0829152006.jpg

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Muttley update:
Our rental lease was up at the end of September. We asked our landlord if we could renew with the dog and she said no. So, it's packing time! We definitely choose to keep Muttley and ditch the house. Ya, it's a super awesome, beautiful house but it's nothing without Muttley!

Muttley, do you have any idea how much you are loved??

Chowing on freshly hunted elk ribs..
View attachment 151323

My 6 year olds art project.. He made Muttley!
(Yes we are those who don't post our photos online anywhere...)
View attachment 151324

My sweet boy..
View attachment 151325
Aspen will be over soon to share those ribs! :) Man, I wish I knew some hunters. Anyway, I think it's great that you get to keep him but terrible that you have to move to do it. I can understand why the landlords don't want animals in their property but for those of us that take good care of them and the property it stinks that it's so hard to find a good place.z

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Craigslist is my best friend!

I posted an ad looking for free unwanted meat. I've scored:
60+ lbs of professionally butchered pork
40lbs of professionally butchered beef
6 Costco chicken breasts
and
45lbs of elk meat plus bones from a local hunter who was hacking up the carcass in his living room!

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Craigslist is my best friend!

I posted an ad looking for free unwanted meat. I've scored:
60+ lbs of professionally butchered pork
40lbs of professionally butchered beef
6 Costco chicken breasts
and
45lbs of elk meat plus bones from a local hunter who was hacking up the carcass in his living room!
I should do that. I'm not sure how much longer my dog will be with us. She's 14 and definitely showing her age now. But animals better than I do. And I can't believe that Hunter was chopping that they're up in his living room! He must not be married.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Gosh, Heather...I'm just so proud of you. Thinking of the dog first and your comfort and pain having to pack house and move last. The dog is well-loved and he really looks like he appreciates it.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
The hunter guy was married! It was the wife that passed me the giant trash bag full of scraps! Hahaha

Yvonne, this packing sucks! We look at Muttley a dozen times a day and say, "dog you better know we love you!" LOL

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
We bought Muttley a crate and started crate training. A few days in with the gradual steps for him to get used to it and he's doing just fine.
Today we bought him a Kong so he can have a peanut butter time consuming adventure when he's in there!
I'm a stay at home mom, so the crate isn't an all day every day thing...But it's nice to have for if/when it's needed.

1015151623b.jpg

1015151619a.jpg

Now, off to post some tortoise photos LOL

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Crate training with a Kong full of peanut butter. Oh does that bring back memories :) I used to put peanut butter and broken up dog cookies in the Kong. Before I knew how it worked I thought putting a dog in a crate was cruel. But my dog has never ever hesitated to go into her crate or her outside dog pen on command. She doesn't even pout about it.
My dog has the more closed in airline type crate. Have you used both types and have you noticed any difference in them?

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Growing up our min pins always used the "air line" pet taxi type you are referring to. Never had any issues using those. In fact they loved to nestle into blankets inside..like little burrows!
My previous dogs, the Danes used this open crate style. Never issues with them either.

Honestly, we felt we HAD to get the open crate for Muttley. This dog has a THICK black coat and pants 99% of the time. Even in our AC house he's always so hot. Swimming in the river or being outside on <60°F days are the only times he seems to be a comfortable temperature..poor guy.
Anyway, this crate is more open, better air flow, less heat...Our thoughts anyway.

Nephelle

Pittsburgh, PA
I had kind of a :( day and this thread made my whole night.

I can't believe your landlord said no to that beautiful dog, but I sure got teary when you said it was time to move.

I think this story is one of the sweetest I've read in a long time. Thank you for posting updates so I could find it :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Heather, I am so proud of you and your family for not giving up on your dog to stay in a house. That's the way it should be when one takes on a dog. Wish more people would see it this way. They are not disposable pets, well at least they are not suppose to be. Dogs are my first love and thank you for caring so much for doing what I think is the right thing to do.