We are looking to Rehome our Sulcata

gr8day2play

Location (City and/or State)
St. Petersburg, FL
Hi all,

Thanks for reading this post. About 7 years ago, my spouse and I were visiting the home of some friends of friends, who had a small sulcata tortoise in a terrarium under a heat lamp and the residents both smoked constantly. It was clear that the poor thing was miserable. So, we convinced the people, who we didn't know at all, to let us take him and give him a better home. We have a large, fenced yard in St. Petersburg, FL, and we named him Shellon and have raised him ever since. We feed him excellent food. He loves romaine lettuce hearts, honeydew melon, strawberries and we also feed him Mazuri tortoise health diet food. Since we took him, he has grown to be about two+ feet long and weighs about nearly 50 pounds. We love Shellon, but it's time to rehome him or find a sanctuary for him. I'll soon post some photos of Shellon on here. He's so friendly and actually comes when you call him. He's so well fed and healthy, but he does have a bumpy shell. The vet says he's doing well. He loves to lay in the sun on a mound we have in the yard with his legs stretched out. Although we love him and wished we didn't have to part with him, we just can't manage to have him, a dog and two cats. Plus, we think it's time for him to have more tortoises to hang around with. Does anyone know where we can rehome Shellon at a santuary, or with someone that wants to love and care for such an animal?

Thanks,

John L.

Katie11

Baker fl
I'm in northwest Florida close to Pensacola. I have several but they all have their own enclosures. I've adopted several off here. The last ones we adopted we drove all the way to Arizona to get...maybe time for another road trip?
Just let me know so we can get a game plan together if ur interested.
And I'll go ahead and warn you alot of people join this forum to get free torts just to resale them 😔
I'm glad for Shellon's sake y'all rescued him from a terrible up bringing.

gr8day2play

St. Petersburg, FL
I'm in northwest Florida close to Pensacola. I have several but they all have their own enclosures. I've adopted several off here. The last ones we adopted we drove all the way to Arizona to get...maybe time for another road trip?
Just let me know so we can get a game plan together if ur interested.
And I'll go ahead and warn you alot of people join this forum to get free torts just to resale them 😔
I'm glad for Shellon's sake y'all rescued him from a terrible up bringing.
Hi Katie,

Thanks so much for your reply. Sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. I think it's terrible that people would do such a thing as reselling tortoises found on this site, and thanks for the warning. It would break our hearts to find that something like that has happened to Shellon. We want to be selective with who we rehome Shellon with. We do not want any money for him. We are just very concerned that he end up in a loving, caring environment with other Sulcata's to socialize with. We also want to be able to visit him from time to time to see how he is doing. If you really do have several Sulcata's, and you're willing to permanently add another to your bale, well at least Pensacola is in Florida and we could plan an occasional road trip once a year or so if it would be alright. Again, we love Shellon. Let me get some pictures of him posted onto this thread and then we can maybe take our discussion forward after we learn more about you and your bale. His vet at Bayshore Animal Hospital here in St. Petersburg just loves Shellon like we do so she will be heartbroken to know she's losing a patient and will want to know he is being rehomed to a loving, caring environment like we do. Thanks again for your reply.

Thank,

John.