We as pets?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Gran Pulse
Here is my thought, you know how we keep animals as pets, for companionship? We get affection, companionship, etc. And, in return they get fed, water, taken care of, everything they need to survive.

What I was thinking was would it be so bad to have an alien race, with higher technology and as far advanced over us as we are over our pets to care for us?

We go outside for instance 30 min a day and catch a ball? They provide our entertainment for us. Maybe a Wii or a Playstation 3?

Basically, all of our needs would be taken care of for the rest of our lives.

Would it be so bad being a pet?

expo tort

5 Year Member
Feed me hamburgers and soda and I'm fine. Ohh just thought of be given wiis and xboxes with games for FREE!!!!!!!! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
with higher technology and as far advanced over us as we are over our pets to care for us?

Well, no thanks here:D...also, I don't consider my arms, hands and legs as far advanced--but rather just part of our species make up ....so the reality is we have the critters we have because we force them to remain where we designate their space...right? So, brute force is what we have over them....some of the larger species just require a bit stronger fence to be forced to stay in a designated spot....now, once detained in that spot is when to me we must perform appropriately to make as pleasant a facade as possible for the little inmates....lol :D

Plus I am so fickled and change up so much in some things that I would not want to be my keeper....HAHAHAHA....;)

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
Great science fiction topic - and one that has been covered by many authors, from Ray Bradbury to Gene Roddenberry, as well as Jerry Seinfeld and many others. Invariably, all these writers conclude that it's better to take your chances and be free, than to be safe with no liberty.

Even before science fiction came about, Benjamin Franklin came to a similar conclusion with his famous motto:
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." (1759)

And some 2,000 years before that, the fabulist Aesop expressed a similar sentiment in his famous fable, "The Dog and The Wolf":
A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by. “Ah, Cousin,” said the Dog. “I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?”
“I would have no objection,” said the Wolf, “if I could only get a place.”
“I will easily arrange that for you,” said the Dog; “come with me to my master and you shall share my work."
So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog’s neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.
“Oh, it is nothing,” said the Dog. “That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it.”
“Is that all?” said the Wolf. “Then good-bye to you, Master Dog.”

Moral: “Better to starve free than be a fat slave.”

[This moral is particularly poignant, considering that Aesop was himself a slave.]

I am inclined to agree with all of the above authors when it comes to humans, and sometimes when it comes to other animals, too. Having said that, I think a tortoise with a nice, spacious habitat in a suitable climate, with access to food and mates would be just as happy - and perhaps even happier - than his brethren in the wild.

expo tort

5 Year Member
GeoTerraTestudo said:
Great science fiction topic - and one that has been covered by many authors, from Ray Bradbury to Gene Roddenberry, Jerry Seinfeld, and many others. Invariably, all these writers conclude that it's better to take your chances and be free, than to be safe with no liberty.

Even before science fiction came about, Benjamin Franklin came to a similar conclusion with his famous motto:
"Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." (1759)

And some 2,000 years before that, the fabulist Aesop expressed a similar sentiment in his famous fable, "The Dog and The Wolf":
A gaunt Wolf was almost dead with hunger when he happened to meet a House-dog who was passing by. “Ah, Cousin,” said the Dog. “I knew how it would be; your irregular life will soon be the ruin of you. Why do you not work steadily as I do, and get your food regularly given to you?”
“I would have no objection,” said the Wolf, “if I could only get a place.”
“I will easily arrange that for you,” said the Dog; “come with me to my master and you shall share my work."
So the Wolf and the Dog went towards the town together. On the way there the Wolf noticed that the hair on a certain part of the Dog’s neck was very much worn away, so he asked him how that had come about.
“Oh, it is nothing,” said the Dog. “That is only the place where the collar is put on at night to keep me chained up; it chafes a bit, but one soon gets used to it.”
“Is that all?” said the Wolf. “Then good-bye to you, Master Dog.”

Moral: “Better to starve free than be a fat slave.”

[This moral is particularly poignant, considering that Aesop was himself a slave.]

I am inclined to agree with all of the above authors when it comes to humans, and sometimes when it comes to other animals, too. Having said that, I think a tortoise with a nice, spacious habitat in a suitable climate, with access to food and mates would be just as happy - and perhaps even happier - than his brethren in the wild.

(in hillbilly voice) Dang! You people talk all fancy like. Quotin all these people I ain't never heard of. Like that Roddenberry feller. Is he named after some sort o fancy berry that only you city slickers eat? And my rifle gimme enough liberty and safety. I don't need no fence like all you city folk.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
expo tort said:
(in hillbilly voice) Dang! You people talk all fancy like. Quotin all these people I ain't never heard of. Like that Roddenberry feller. Is he named after some sort o fancy berry that only you city slickers eat? And my rifle gimme enough liberty and safety. I don't need no fence like all you city folk.

Oh, c'mon ... even hillbillies know who Gene Roddenberry was. ;)

expo tort

5 Year Member
Warning hillbillies look away.

Please I doubt most hillbillies even know what sci fi is. Ok forget the thoughts in your head I did not mean to start anything so please don't throw this whole thread off. It's meant to be what the original post means. So in summary of the long part DONT CAUSE THE THREAD TO SPRIAL INTO A TAIL SPIN!!!! PLEASEEEREEEEEEE.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hmm... If I had a large enclosure, good temps, good food and a few nice females to breed with... It might not be so bad. If they put another male in with me, I'd kill him for sure though...

But if some dumb alien said, "Hey, this one comes from the desert. Keep him hot and dry. He'll get all his water from his food. It gets below freezing there at night, so I'll make it nice and cold for him at night..." Hmm... Not so much then...

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
What's this about females?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hmmm, if I had a keeper who believed it really should be several males to me the one female, then maybe Tom's idea would work...

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Edna simple, pets don't work, they simply are given their food, shelter, other needs. So if I am going to be "kept" I wanna be kept. :D No more work or bills. :D

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Read Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut . Some of us hicks know readin' and writin' and even ciferin'.

Edna

5 Year Member
Rawlins, Wyoming
Jacqui said:
Edna simple, pets don't work, they simply are given their food, shelter, other needs. So if I am going to be "kept" I wanna be kept. :D No more work or bills. :D

My Aussie is pretty sure that she has a job and that her job is important. Ants in ant farms just go ahead and work, having no idea that they are indeed kept as "pets".

expo tort said:
Scientology??????

The only thing I know about Scientology is that Tom Cruise is plain weird. Sometimes I just think in terms of analogy: Bug on my windshield is to me as I am to ????

TurtleTortoise

5 Year Member
Michigan
expo tort said:
Feed me hamburgers and soda and I'm fine. Ohh just thought of be given wiis and xboxes with games for FREE!!!!!!!! :D

Yeah it wouldn't be too bad if we got all those free things! And if I was cared for properly (which I doubt anything would know how to properly care for a human)

Vishnu2

5 Year Member
Gran Pulse
TurtleTortoise said:
expo tort said:

Yeah it wouldn't be too bad if we got all those free things! And if I was cared for properly (which I doubt anything would know how to properly care for a human)

Their intelligence is more advanced than ours, of course they know what our needs are.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Saratoga County, New York
Edna said:
Why are you all so damn sure that we aren't just pets, being kept by an alien race????

What are you smoking? ;)

I wouldn't think it would be too bad to be a pet, as long as you had a decent owner. No mortgage, free food, lounge around all day. It sounds pretty awesome!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Being forced to eat what they provide, drink what they provide, how much drink they provide, wait I could just move to new york instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.