We found a baby tortoise in our yard… help

AmberViolette

Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
Well the desert hibernates for a lot of the year. Could let the desert roam in the front yard. When the sulcata gets big he could have the backyard. Just thinking out loud. I guess we have some time to think about it while he’s a baby. It’s hard to think about giving away a little tiny baby. He’s so cute. But we’ll see.

luke2431

pensacola, fl
Well the desert hibernates for a lot of the year. Could let the desert roam in the front yard. When the sulcata gets big he could have the backyard. Just thinking out loud. I guess we have some time to think about it while he’s a baby. It’s hard to think about giving away a little tiny baby. He’s so cute. But we’ll see.
Hey girl! Same thing happened to me four years ago Neighbor's tortoise came under the fence and laid two eggs in my flower garden and we rescued them and raised them! They lived in a terrarium inside until they got bigger and now they live in their own burrow my backyard. They love romaine lettuce and chopped strawberries the best! Tom gives the best smart advice on this site!

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Your baby sulcata more than likely hatched during the last rain storm along with its nest mates. If the nest wasn't securely enclosed with a fence that went all the way to the ground all the way around, including the gate, the babies would definitely be able to explore. They are capable of roaming quite a distance right after coming up to ground level. You can clean it off over time by gently scrubbing it with a soft brush and water. It will have a better chance of surviving if you keep it inside in a vivarium for at least a year. There is all the info you will need to do this in Tom's care sheet.

Where your desert tortoise hibernate, the sulcata will not. It needs to be kept safe and warm in a humid environment all year long! It will grow pretty fast, and its a good idea to track it's growth. I use a postage scale to weigh my babies. It works until they reach 10 pounds.

Enjoy your baby! They can be real characters with lots of personality.

AmberViolette

Arizona
Is there anything wrong with building an enclosed chamber out of wood and a plexiglass front? Or does it have to be made out of pvc?

Donna Albu

5 Year Member
Peoria, Maricopa County, AZ
Is there anything wrong with building an enclosed chamber out of wood and a plexiglass front? Or does it have to be made out of pvc?
There isn't anything wrong with it, but to clean it well it works better if it also has a plexiglas top. You can make the top in two framed pieces, hinged at the back. Especially for those of us that do not have long arms, reaching your baby against the back wall can be a challenge! Many people use an 8 foot bookcase as a frame for the habitat, lined with waterproof material. They have sharp little nails and love to dig, so keep that in mind.