We have decided to get a tortoise!

Allison Sawdon

Hello everyone! My name is Allison Sawdon and I am from Ontario. My husband and I have decided we want to get our first tortoise. As of right now we are leaning towards a Russian or a Greek. I joined this site looking for advice from tortoise owners on which type to choose and what all to get for it. ( I have learned that you can not 100% take the advice from the pet shops when it comes to reptiles.) :)

Looking forward to learning more about tortoises and sharing stories about the tortoise we decide on!

M

Maggie Cummings

Only you can decide what species of tortoise would fit into your lifestyle. Is it gonna be outside or in? Do you want a small one or a BIG one? Are you around a lot to socialize it or not? Russians are very personable, IMHO, and easy keepers. Same said for Hermanni and they are really pretty too.

Allison Sawdon

We are looking for a smaller bread that will be mainly inside. There is almost always someone home so it will get lots of attention. :)

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
San Jose CA
We are looking for a smaller bread that will be mainly inside. There is almost always someone home so it will get lots of attention. :)

This is Ontario Canada right? I think Herrmanni will suit your weather because Hermanni will hibernate during the winter for about 3 to 5 or even 5 months. They remain small, very active during the summer. Our hermanni are very sociable. They (4 or 5 years old now) stay outdoor all the time till around Nov and then go into hibernation.

This is they having lunch today. The bigger one is a Marginated Tortoise male.

IMG_0001.JPG IMG_0002.JPG IMG_0003.JPG IMG_0004.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Welcome to our Forum, Allison!

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Allison welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . Sense I have herrman 's and Marginated and I find the Maginated have more personalality then the Herrmans but please I'm not saying one is better them the other .ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398814773.725773.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1398814818.384045.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi! I would think you would have an easier time finding a Russian in your area and they do make great tortoises, especially for first timers. Greeks are very nice too.

guille24

5 Year Member
wisconsin
Russians are amazing ! They have great personalities And can tolerate different temperatures better than others , I love my Russians they are amazing :D

LolaMyLove

10 Year Member!
Walnut Creek, Ca
I am basis because I only have Russians... but they are awesome.

Attachments

• 2014 039.JPG
    2014 039.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7

StarSapphire22

5 Year Member
Fargo, ND
My hermanns is a hoot and a half. Care is very similar to Russians and Greeks...the best deciding factor between the three is who you like the look of best. All three are fairly personable, tolerate similar temperatures, have similar diets.