We joined the club

Status
Not open for further replies.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
We finally took the plunge and joined the club. Okay, I got a hold of Bill Z's caresheet, it gives the basics. Read all the posts in this forum and others about the radiated torts. I have a few questions for the Florida keepers, first, do you keep yours outside? If you do, do you bring them in at night? It is such a pricey investment, I would hate for a raccoon to get him. We keep our cherries outside without worry, from our yearlings to adults. The hatchlings stay inside as the birds can eat those. Are there any weeds that I have to worry about or will he self regulate and not eat the bad weeds like my cherries?

He (I use he for ease since I know, he is too small to accurately sex), has a split scute in the back bumper area. I got him from someone who bought him at the Daytona Show last year from John Heidecker. He is a little over 4" and slightly bumpy but not bad considering he was the first tort for the person who bought him. Let me know what you think.

Allegra

He is still dirty, I didn't want to stress him out by scrubbing him down. All I did was spray him down with a little water for his photoshoot.

IMG_6091.jpg

IMG_6086.jpg

IMG_6083.jpg

IMG_6081.jpg

IMG_6077.jpg

IMG_6072.jpg

IMG_6070.jpg

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Greenfield, In.
If I still lived in Florida and had a little tort I would not leave it outdoors at night.

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Oops, I just re-read my post and I did not mean to sound so inclusive to only Florida keepers. Sorry about that, it was only because I am in Florida. I would appreciate all opinions. Thanks.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Welcome to the club :) congrats beautiful rad. At that size I would have a wire topper or bring him in at night. Rats looooove to chew there legs being yellow.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Well how could you resist a Radiated tort with the absolute beauty that they possess. Congrats, I have 3 and the last one that I got was a beautiful female from Bill Z :D . If you are anything like me you will be getting another soon. I have 2 with pretty great color and one that is more black. Your other torts with those red heads are very beautiful as well and I can tell you take great care of them. You are a great keeper of torts:D

bigred said:
Well how could you resist a Radiated tort with the absolute beauty that they possess. Congrats, I have 3 and the last one that I got was a beautiful female from Bill Z :D . If you are anything like me you will be getting another soon. I have 2 with pretty great color and one that is more black. Your other torts with those red heads are very beautiful as well and I can tell you take great care of them. You are a great keeper of torts:D

I brimg mine in at night and make sure nothing can get to them with a secure enclosure

allegraf

10 Year Member!
bigred said:

Thanks, the cherries have been easy since South Florida weather is almost perfect for them. This newest addition has me worried already! It is inside under lock and key. But I do know outside is always better for them. The previous owner said he worried so much that when he did let it out, he would stand next to it to make sure no birds swooped down and got it! It is bigger than most of my 2011 hatchlings which are outside already, I just don't want to take the chance. I think I will start out by making sure nothing swoops down to snatch him and eventually work myself up to letting him stay outside. Thanks all for all the help! Kelly, rats!?! Man I gotta re-think the planned enclosure.

Allegra

PS Bigred, this is why I resisted the radiateds for so long, I know they are like doritos, you can stop at one!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
allegraf said:
bigred said:

Thanks, the cherries have been easy since South Florida weather is almost perfect for them. This newest addition has me worried already! It is inside under lock and key. But I do know outside is always better for them. The previous owner said he worried so much that when he did let it out, he would stand next to it to make sure no birds swooped down and got it! It is bigger than most of my 2011 hatchlings which are outside already, I just don't want to take the chance. I think I will start out by making sure nothing swoops down to snatch him and eventually work myself up to letting him stay outside. Thanks all for all the help! Kelly, rats!?! Man I gotta re-think the planned enclosure.

Allegra

PS Bigred, this is why I resisted the radiateds for so long, I know they are like doritos, you can stop at one!

I keep a good eye on mine when I let them run around the backyard, I also have a good enclosure with a wire mesh top. Mine love the sun as soon as I put them in the sun they poop= the sun goes right through them. The thing that worries me more than anything is tort thieves, I hate those BAST@#$%

coastal

10 Year Member!
Florida
That one looks a bit small still to be out overnight unprotected. The wild "mammals" in florida are know to make a meal on tortoises from time to time when food is hard to find.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
so very beautiful. no, I sure wouldn't leave him out at night. Just too risky.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Now I can see myself in a couple years being more in trouble as you start bringing these beauties into a serious breeding program and showing the hatchlings for sale in here. :D

Q'sTortie

5 Year Member
Tampa, Florida
As Allegra said these tortoise are like sinful treats to someone on a wallet diet. They can only hold back for so long but once they take that "small" bite they will come back for more :)

allegraf

10 Year Member!
Man, I am chomping at the bit to get more already. We couldn't make it to Daytona this year, but next year for sure.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
allegraf said:
Man, I am chomping at the bit to get more already. We couldn't make it to Daytona this year, but next year for sure.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Maybe they are worse than Doritos

Status
Not open for further replies.