We just rescued a tortoise, and I need help identifying it’s type and possible age? Thanks!

jamesm_tx

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio
We recently received a tortoise from a friend, who decided it wasn’t going to work out. I need help identifying what kind it is, and possible age, if of course someone can tell more or less due to size. If I had to guess based on charts I’ve seen, I’m thinking Sulcata. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Jim

Attachments

• 3FCF22D8-6194-4186-B394-41AD01BE7B04.jpeg
    3FCF22D8-6194-4186-B394-41AD01BE7B04.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 72
  • E734493B-D843-4738-8DC5-E745E0914AE6.jpeg
    E734493B-D843-4738-8DC5-E745E0914AE6.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71

TaylorTortoise

Abington
The friend whom you got it from didnt know anything about it? It’s a Sulcata. You’re going to need to put the tortoise in an enclosure big enough for it’s type of species. Sulcata’s grow fairly big; fast.
You will need uvb and a basking light clean fresh water daily, food daily

let me get some Sulcata experts here

@maggie3fan @Tom @Yvonne G

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
Now that you've been pointed in the right direction.......

Beautiful little guy!! Listen the the guys above and dive into those care sheets...they were written by true pros & are really worth the time, and Congrats on taking your little guy in, very cool!

He's gonna need a bigger box....SOON<LOL>

Look at that little face!

Clemson(big sulc) used to look at me like I owed him money......LOL

Welcome .......

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
S/He's beautiful - thank you for giving him a home.
There's a lot to learn, starting with the caresheet but ask as many questions as you like.
You may have to spend a lot to set him up with the correct size enclosure and lamps etc but once you have them they last for ages. Check here before buying to save money.

A few quick tips to save you buying the wrong things and making the same mistakes many of us made starting out.
-no coil or cfll type bulbs - they burn tort eyes. T5 HO tubes are better fir UVB
-no red lamps - they can encourage torts to eat things they shouldn't
-no spot basking bulbs - too intense - use flood
-torts need darkness to sleep so a che with a thermostat is good for night heat
-A shallow terracotta plant saucer would be easier for him to access and exit than the steep water dish you have.
-sial type thermometers aren't too reliable so a digital thermometer/hygrometer would be more useful - maybe with a digital temp gun to spot check temps.
Hope that helps.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome to a fellow sulcata owner. Get ready for a great time. If I were to guess, I would say less then 6 months old. Probably closer to 4 months.They get big and fast. My sully is 4 yrs old and 55lbs. Not a indoor tort but for the first 2yrs. When 2 and around 10 lbs then they can go outside with all the temperature being correct. But as they get bigger they get more expensive. May be the reason your friend gave it to you. ?
Read the caresheets here, stay away from pet store advice. We can answer any questions you have. He is looking a little bumpy on the shell. Read up on pyramiding. So 80% humidity in the enclosure at all times. Also daily soaks in warm water for 1/2hr and the water depth is where the carapace and plastron meet. Keep it warm the whole time and don't be surprised if you get poop or a white pasty stuff coming from the back side. The white pasty stuff is called urates. If the urates get gritty or hard. Your tort is not getting enough water. Good luck ask questions.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome. Great tips from everyone above. I would add: Start soaking daily and get this little guy into a humid warm closed chamber enclosure ASAP. Damage to the scutes and underlying bone is being done every day it remains too dry. Irreversible damage.

Last edited by a moderator:

Obbie

Minnesota

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
Welcome to a fellow sulcata owner. Get ready for a great time. If I were to guess, I would say less then 6 months old. Probably closer to 4 months.They get big and fast. My sully is 4 yrs old and 55lbs. Not a indoor tort but for the first 2yrs. When 2 and around 10 lbs then they can go outside with all the temperature being correct. But as they get bigger they get more expensive. May be the reason your friend gave it to you. ?
Read the caresheets here, stay away from pet store advice. We can answer any questions you have. He is looking a little bumpy on the shell. Read up on pyramiding. So 80% humidity in the enclosure at all times. Also daily soaks in warm water for 1/2hr and the water depth is where the carapace and plastron meet. Keep it warm the whole time and don't be surprised if you get poop or a white pasty stuff coming from the back side. The white pasty stuff is called urates. If the urates get gritty or hard. Your tort is not getting enough water. Good luck ask questions.
My God Ray, You must have a giant! Mine didn't reach 55lbs. until he was about 6 years old.
He is now about 165lbs and is 13 years old. By the time yours is 13 he will be a true monster at the rate he's growing!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
My God Ray, You must have a giant! Mine didn't reach 55lbs. until he was about 6 years old.
He is now about 165lbs and is 13 years old. By the time yours is 13 he will be a true monster at the rate he's growing!
WOW! 165lbs, I was thinking Opo would end up being 90 to 120lbs. Hopefully I hang in there for 9 more yrs to find out.?

Hippytort

10 Year Member!
Southern CA
WOW! 165lbs, I was thinking Opo would end up being 90 to 120lbs. Hopefully I hang in there for 9 more yrs to find out.?
Get ready! I was told by Tom he most likely is a Sudan variety. If you have one too, as the weight's your getting indicate, you got a big bulldozer to look forward to.
I'm going to do a weigh-in Thanksgiving day, that's when I'll have another strong person here to help me lift him on the scale. I will post his weight on another post so I don't hijack this one.