Weather Where You Are

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Here I am snuggled in my flannel pajamas, thick socks and in bed under sheet, quilt and blanket. Freezing outside now at 63F. A little better inside at around 69. Brrrr. ❄️... You all keep safe and warm!!!
It's supposed to warm up to 10°f tomorrow. I can't wait. I'm snug and cozy though for now in our home.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
So far we've gotten off pretty good here. Down to 16F at the moment and dropping slowly. Supposed to get to 12F tonight, then tomorrow up to 25F. The winds haven't been as bad as I expected. Found this site, poweroutages.us, you can see how many people have outages in your state and it's broken down into each county. We have 54 total from both power suppliers in the county.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you getting snow? I heard some places near you are going to get snow for a few days. We didn't get any.
We got some yesterday, not as much as they first thought. Might be getting some flurries tonight too. The bad thing, the snow wasn't heavy so it's blowing around like crazy and causing white outs.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
That is some cold poo, poor doggies didn't know what was going on lol.
What's crazy is next week I think it's Thursday and Friday we are suppose to get low to mid 40's. That will be like a heat wave.
Thankfully the wind wasn't bad. As I remember the temp was -13°, and the wind chill -26°. But we were warm and cozy in the truck. Gosh! I sure loved that truck!2008-01-12 15.30.11.jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Love the dog. He doesn't look thrilled with the snow though.
We have the same weather as you. Could have waited one more weekend, ugh.

these dogs love the winter ........ the coldest part of our winter is usually mid january-mid february , i think yours too ...... that thought is depressing ....

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
I haven't seen it this cold in Ohio since the 90's. Maybe not even then. Im at -1 in the back yard and -0 in the front yard and have been all day. I'm adding extra heat other ways to keep from using too much electricity. Our home is easy to heat and Im still having to do all that including increasing humidity.
seen some -20's on the news , we're 1 right now ......supposed to be in the 50's next weekend ......... this sure doesn't look good , but we had one seriously cold winter in the last 10yrs or so , it's when i started covering the ponds in the winter , the snow and wind chill froze them just about solid ........ electric and gas bills are going to be historic also ......

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
The extent of my plant loss won't be visible until light but so far most of my cactus are either frozen or the taller branches (or whatever) have broken and are laying dead in the damn ice. I can't walk across my deck cuz of the ice, can't go down the stairs, or walk around the house any way to get to the tort shed. Thursday I checked on the shed and fed the torts in there. I did soak the smaller torts and every body was ok and the temps in there were good. So I guess I'm only worried because I am used to checking those animals daily. Gonna try an get the Camaro out of the carport. I am completely out of parakeet seed and yesterday they got seeded bread and greens, so I need seed today. If I can't get the car up the small incline, I'm gonna have to walk to town. 2.5 miles. "they" say this is the worst ice storm in Corvallis in 2 generations. As soon as it's light I'm gonna see if I can put my cable chains on. It's already 29 degrees...be melting soon and I can drive the Squirrel on/in the slush. My grandson just called and he's gonna try to get here...if he does, we will either drive or walk into town...I'm thinkin he's so willing to help me because he needs to hit a dispensary...lol
I have a huge solid green humongous Spider plant in a corner of the carport, in a shelter made of thick plastic sheeting and the plant is wrapped in old fashioned Christmas tree lights, they actually get almost hot. If I can find the flash light I'm gonna see if the plant made it...

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thankfully the wind wasn't bad. As I remember the temp was -13°, and the wind chill -26°. But we were warm and cozy in the truck. Gosh! I sure loved that truck!View attachment 352782
Will you please tell me how, after all the years I've known you did I not know you guys are drivers???????????? Seriously???84191616_611348029689408_2692242366223351808_n.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
these dogs love the winter ........ the coldest part of our winter is usually mid january-mid february , i think yours too ...... that thought is depressing ....
Yep it is for us too. Fingers crossed this is it. Next weekend we are suppose to be in 40' and 50's. Hoping that's the start of spring lol

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I guess I have nothing to complain about since we are spoiled down here with great temps and humidity for our torts ,most of the time. Last night hit 34 and the first thing this morning I went to check on my floor temperature of my nightbox.It was around 65 floor level in which I was a little disappointed.So I changed the guillotine doors that had one inch holes in it for ventilation to a solid door. Hoping this will increase the floor temp.Ideally I would like it to stay at a consistent 78 to 80 but Ill be ok with a constant 70 until our cold weather passes. Its getting to hard to lug the guys in and out every night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My doberman is a real ninny. She won't go out if it's raining (how are dogs able to "hold it" for that long?), and if it's cold and frosty, she goes out, does her business and rushes to get back in by the fire!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
My doberman is a real ninny. She won't go out if it's raining (how are dogs able to "hold it" for that long?), and if it's cold and frosty, she goes out, does her business and rushes to get back in by the fire!
Dobermans generally seem pretty picky and fussy. But sensible!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
seen some -20's on the news , we're 1 right now ......supposed to be in the 50's next weekend ......... this sure doesn't look good , but we had one seriously cold winter in the last 10yrs or so , it's when i started covering the ponds in the winter , the snow and wind chill froze them just about solid ........ electric and gas bills are going to be historic also ......
Today it got up to 10°f and I could see out of my picture window so I decided to try and feed the birds 😁🤔 and well... they did get fed amongst my slipery ride with the storm door because of the wind.😁💨. The little sparrows found the quart of seeds and scattered it on the frozen snow within 2 hours. I was only able to capture a few. They can see me through the windowIMG_20221224_141647940_HDR.jpgIMG_20221224_141708824_HDR.jpg coming for a pic.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Will you please tell me how, after all the years I've known you did I not know you guys are drivers???????????? Seriously???View attachment 352794
I have posted about it a time or two. I'm sorry you didn't see them.
Pete drove for 40 years; when we met he was driving LTL with a northeast local carrier. I left the hospital where I had been working 19 years, and decided to go to truck driving school. I came out with a CDL with all endorsements except school bus.
Pete had researched a company called Roberts Express, a door to door, expedited, single use company that leased vehicles from a van to a semi. We bought a little Mack Midliner with a 24 ft box, and I signed on with them, and ran alone for 7 months. I was in blizzards in NY and ME, my crossover line froze, I got in a few jams (I wonder if anyone ever figured out those scraped bricks on that building 🤔). I really learned a lot during that time on my own! The whole idea was that we figured we could use this as a tax write-off. But I messed up...I was making good money, even on my own.

Pete joined me after we shortened the box and got a 64" sleeper, then a couple years later we bought the Mack tractor in the picture. We drove only high-dollar freight; constant surveillance and dual driver protection, radioactive, explosives, medical use drugs (liquid Codeine), precious metals, and military parts for repairs. We carried parts for the vice president's helicopter, the flag that was draped over Richard Nixon's coffin, and other odd things, like old rocket fuel that was made in the 1950's and was VERY unstable. We bounced it from Edwards AFB to a permanent underground storage facility in AR. We also got to actually fly a DC9 jet simulator at the Delta training facility outside Atlanta.

To say we had fun and loved it is a real understatement. We had luxuries...TV, VCR, fridge, heat, generator, and our 2 dogs were with us.

We drove 5 years, then it all came crashing down when my mom started breaking bones in her back from osteoporosis. We had to go home to PA and care for my parents. We sold the truck 😭, sold our home, and spent the next 5 years doing what was the right thing to do. After they both passed, we began the next era of our lives, which included my fireworks driving and doing fireworks shows as a licensed shooter with a crew! We eventually travelled here to the southwest in our bus conversion, which led to TFO. 😃

Last edited: