Weather Where You Are

mark1

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ohio
My doberman is a real ninny. She won't go out if it's raining (how are dogs able to "hold it" for that long?), and if it's cold and frosty, she goes out, does her business and rushes to get back in by the fire!
dobermans got thin skin , little or no undercoat and short fine guard hairs , not really a cold weather dog ...... my dogs have thick skin you need to see/feel to believe , i've bent a needle on it before ....... in the winter they have a dense thick undercoats and long thick guard hairs , like a short haired st. bernard , you need to make these guys come in .......

this is a summer pic
Picture606.jpg

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
The extent of my plant loss won't be visible until light but so far most of my cactus are either frozen or the taller branches (or whatever) have broken and are laying dead in the damn ice. I can't walk across my deck cuz of the ice, can't go down the stairs, or walk around the house any way to get to the tort shed. Thursday I checked on the shed and fed the torts in there. I did soak the smaller torts and every body was ok and the temps in there were good. So I guess I'm only worried because I am used to checking those animals daily. Gonna try an get the Camaro out of the carport. I am completely out of parakeet seed and yesterday they got seeded bread and greens, so I need seed today. If I can't get the car up the small incline, I'm gonna have to walk to town. 2.5 miles. "they" say this is the worst ice storm in Corvallis in 2 generations. As soon as it's light I'm gonna see if I can put my cable chains on. It's already 29 degrees...be melting soon and I can drive the Squirrel on/in the slush. My grandson just called and he's gonna try to get here...if he does, we will either drive or walk into town...I'm thinkin he's so willing to help me because he needs to hit a dispensary...lol
I have a huge solid green humongous Spider plant in a corner of the carport, in a shelter made of thick plastic sheeting and the plant is wrapped in old fashioned Christmas tree lights, they actually get almost hot. If I can find the flash light I'm gonna see if the plant made it...

I suppose "instacart" isn't an option there?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
Got off easy here at the Beach. The low temperatures were the only news worthy thing that happened here. Never got the super high winds the ice or snow. Temperature now is 18F and holding. Tomorrow is supposed reach mid 30s F and get a little warmer each day. I did close the doors on all the tortoises house's yesterday and opened them for several hours today so they could come out if they wanted, nobody came out. I slipped wet food into each house except Walkers and they all ate it. I feel very lucky with what I see other people going through in other parts of the country. I talked to my sister today in Georgia and she has been colder longer than I have. She didn't have single digit temps like me but they aren't prepared for our kind of weather down there. A lot of frozen water pipes down south.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I suppose "instacart" isn't an option there?
Yea there is...but I'll guarantee you that if I can't drive on that ice...nobody can. We have a slight incline to leave the park...but not one car could get out of the park. For 2 days there was not one car or big truck on the hiway.

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
were at 11 today , things looking way better ...........
looked inside my enclosures this morning .....
outside
DSCF0021_(2).jpg

inside
DSCF0035_(2).jpg

outside
DSCF0031_(2).jpg

inside
DSCF0034_(2).jpg

outside
DSCF0028_(2).jpg

inside
DSCF0037_(2).jpg

DSCF0040_(2).jpg

DSCF0038_(2).jpg

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
Is that as awful as I think?
potentially it could be , absolutely stressful due to the potential ...... but honestly it's no worse than the ice storm you guys got in the northwest , it was actually not as dangerous as an ice storm , just frikin colder , 12 right now is noticeably warmer ........... i thought i was going to get up to ice on friday , thankfully was not that bad it never rained much here , didn't really snow much either ..... one year it was pouring rain and dropped down to zero within a couple hours , that was the worst ...... our weather usually goes downhill from here until the 3rd week of february , hopefully that's not the case ..... supposed to be in the 50's by next weekend ..... it was good practice , i'm pretty sure i'm ready for whatever .....

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
This is a pretty good example of what happened to about 5 big cactus'. This cactus came from Y's plant when I moved to Oregon 17 years ago...I invest emotion on anything that is mine...so this bothers meDSCN1017.JPG
DSCN1018.JPG
look at the ice on it...DSCN1020.JPGDSCN1020.JPG

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
It's warmed up from 10°f on Christmas to 37°f today and getting ready for rain 🌧️ instead of snow ❄️.💨 By the weekend even warmer. The weather man is saying that these "lower temps" are way below average this time of year. I'm wondering what century he was born in🤔.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
At this point, maybe I'm rubbing it in?
Please understand. I WANT some cold weather
Well... it was around 70°f here yesterday in the crab apple tree and around the 60's today. I figure the birds are loving it. But I can just about imagine what it's like where you are. I'm actually hot though and that doesn't happen often sooo I'm not complaining🐢🎉 2023 is going to rain itself in 🌧️🌧️🌧️ here. That might cool it off 😉