Webcam monitoring

bradtato

Location (City and/or State)
Richmond, VA
Has anyone else set up a webcam or anything similar for monitoring your habitat while you're away? I'm new to the game, and have find myself worrying constantly when I'm not home to check on my little guy periodically. I work (essentially) 6:40a to 6p (from the time I leave home to the time I get back), and I'm to far away to go home on a lunch break.

I'm just curious what experience you folks have, and what setups/software are in use for doing so. I'll probably end up setting up a NetBook beside his table with a fixed cam feeding to a cam website like Stickam.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I've seen some posts on this subject. Go to the top, right of any screen and type "web cam" in the Google custom search box.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
That's all good and well, but I haven't been able to turn up any successful results from the mobile app, which is where I'm most frequently accessing the message boards.

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Belkin makes a $100.00 Netcam that you can set up and monitor tortoises with, via a smartphone.
From your phone you can also take a photo or video of what you see.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
I use a d-link camera. Was about $100 I think. After struggling to set up a cheap-o camera, it was worth the money. It sets up in minutes and has its own app.

tortoise5643

5 Year Member
I got a foscam camera for Christmas. It was $65 (I only know because I had been shopping around for one and my family new that was the one I wanted) I can get on a tablet, computer, laptop, or smart phone and move it up anddown and side to side. It did take a good 1.5 hours to hook it up though. It also comes with a mount for it.

GotTort

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
I use something called Dropcam. It cost around $150. There is a newer, more expensive version for $200. The setup and use is very easy. I view it through a free app on my iPhone. I think it works with android as well. Not sure if it is the best for the money but set up is very quick and easy.

gtc

5 Year Member
Norway
I got 2 dlink ipcams set up wiith port forwarding and dyndns so I can assign each cam their own public Internet address. It works great and I use them everyday.

Maverick

5 Year Member
If you have an old Android phone around you can do it for free, check out ipwebcam and tinycam monitor on google play.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have the lorex wireless from Home Depot. Two cameras one monitor. Can be watch over skype. We haven't figured that part out yet:(. Seems easy, just not too us:D Price was around 250.00 I think and two more cameras can be added. The cameras and monitor works good. I'm sure the skype part would too if you can get it figured out.

bradtato

Richmond, VA
Re: RE: Webcam monitoring

kathyth said:
Belkin makes a $100.00 Netcam that you can set up and monitor tortoises with, via a smartphone.
From your phone you can also take a photo or video of what you see.

Pokeymeg said:
I use a d-link camera. Was about $100 I think. After struggling to set up a cheap-o camera, it was worth the money. It sets up in minutes and has its own app.

tortoise5643 said:
I got a foscam camera for Christmas. It was $65 (I only know because I had been shopping around for one and my family new that was the one I wanted) I can get on a tablet, computer, laptop, or smart phone and move it up anddown and side to side. It did take a good 1.5 hours to hook it up though. It also comes with a mount for it.

Thanks for the input! I'm more concerned with overall cost than ease of setup;I like to think I'm pretty handy.

GotTort said:
I use something called Dropcam. It cost around $150. There is a newer, more expensive version for $200. The setup and use is very easy. I view it through a free app on my iPhone. I think it works with android as well. Not sure if it is the best for the money but set up is very quick and easy.

I'm currently on Android, but am thinking about switching to a Windows Phone. I do, however, own a Galaxy Tab, so accessibility wouldn't be much of an issue either way.

Maverick said:
If you have an old Android phone around you can do it for free, check out ipwebcam and tinycam monitor on google play.

I'll definitely look into it! I have a small collectIon of old, broken Android phones.

laney

5 Year Member
Aberdeen, Scotland
Maybe a silly question but do you have to have wireless Internet in your home? I just have mobile data on my ipad but would really like to see what they are up to when I'm out!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
With the camera I have, you can hard-wire it right into your modem, so no wireless needed. BUT, if you're viewing via a mobile device, you'll want to be somewhere with a wireless network you can use because it eats up data like crazy!

EKLC

5 Year Member
I did it a few years ago, so if you are looking for another method that's free:

1. Install a VNC server on your laptop with the webcam (I used tightVNC)
2. Install the VNC client on your phone or work computer
3. Use a free dynamic DNS service so that you don't have to worry about your IP address at home jumping around
4. Use port forwarding to get past your router

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
We use Digimerge to watch our tile store. I have it on my phone, my ipad, and my comp. Last week before I went to bed I did a quick check to make sure everything was OK, and saw in the office wires hanging down, and it looked like it was raining in the store. I called my son and he went there and a pipe had burst and was flooding out the place. A wonderful thing to have, IMO.