Weed id and food questions for new Sulcata

Location (City and/or State)
Maidens, Virginia
We have been creating a beautiful structure for our new Sulcata adoption Chello. He is arriving this Sunday! (4 year old, about 20 inch male). We have his home and yard set up, but now I'm stressing the food situation, since we are due for snow on pick up day!

1. If I cut grass and weeds do most tortoises eat it in a dish, or should I cut up the soil/weeds/grass (like sod) and make low planters for him today?

2. We have these plants in his yard (pics below). I think I have looked them up to be sure they are safe, but please let me know if Im wrong! The shamrock, 'clover' looking next to the moss is limited in the yard, but if I need to remove it I will? Was confused about if that is the clover to avoid or not.

also.. if he has not been on the Muzuri before, is it safe to put a little out as back up. (Should we expect upset stomach if so?)

IMG_5463 (1).JPG IMG_5462.JPG IMG_5468.JPG IMG_5469.JPG

Thanks to everyone in advance! Getting so excited to get him...nervous, but excited!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Any plant you are not sure of, he should not have access to. In your pics, I recognize dandelion and grass that are safe, and oxalis which is not safe. I don't know the other plants.

If its cold enough to snow, he should not be outside anyway, so you've got some time to figure this out and make adjustments.

Cutting up plants and feeding in a shallow dish is a great way to go. I would not use any sort of sod and it is grow with all sorts of chemicals to make it look pretty and be bug free. They do not intend for it to be eaten by pet animals when they are growing it. I don't know what you meant, but cutting up soil to feed them is not recommended. I think that just came across funny in the wording.

Introducing small amounts of Mazuri is a good idea and should not cause any problems.

Just remember to keep him warm day and night, especially during this stressful transitional phase of moving. Not below 80 day or night and pay close attention to the temperature of the floor under him. Keep it above 80.

Maidens, Virginia
Hey Tom! Yes, we built a home to be kept at 80...he will be soaked inside out bathroom, but kept in his free standing home outside otherwise. Ill post the process of building soon..it was quite an endeavor!

Thanks for the info. Which one is Oxalis (sorry to ask but my plant ID ap has it wrong).
No sod...was trying to describe cutting up grass areas to be put in a shallow pot to munch on inside his house..

TriciaStringer

5 Year Member
Louisiana
I hope I’m right here. I think that is the oxalis. It resembles clover a bit.

Attachments

• 2D58248A-C169-4C3C-99B5-47558A8C8B57.png
    2D58248A-C169-4C3C-99B5-47558A8C8B57.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 17

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey Tom! Yes, we built a home to be kept at 80...he will be soaked inside out bathroom, but kept in his free standing home outside otherwise. Ill post the process of building soon..it was quite an endeavor!

Thanks for the info. Which one is Oxalis (sorry to ask but my plant ID ap has it wrong).
No sod...was trying to describe cutting up grass areas to be put in a shallow pot to munch on inside his house..
The one that looks like clover is oxalis. Its not poisonous and it won't kill him, but it is high in oxalates. If they eat enough of it over a long enough period of time, it can interfere with calcium absorption and cause problems.

Maidens, Virginia
Right! ok, so the clover one is that one..got it. I'll remove it. The others say its Hairy Bittercress...an edible herb and Dracocephalum Rupestre (??- according to an ID ap)..says its used as a tea. Just posing in case anyone is familiar. We have mostly grass but I poked around to find these in his yard.

thanks again

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I'm confused when you mention two "others," as I see three photos other than the oxalis? Can you confirm which is which?

I see a sow thistle (safe) in the second picture.

I see a plant with small leaves growing among other, larger plants in pictures one through three; is this one of the plants you are trying to identify? It might be something in the mint family. Dracocephalum Rupestre is in that family but I'd be very surprised if that's what it is; as it's endemic to China. I don't believe it's made its way over here. If that's what you're trying to identify, can you get a picture? Are there any flowers on it?

The plant in the third picture is familiar to me but isn't anything you've listed. Did you think it was bittercress or the Dracocephalum? These plants should be okay in moderation, I'm just not sure that's what you've got there. :)

Maidens, Virginia
I'm confused when you mention two "others," as I see three photos other than the oxalis? Can you confirm which is which?

I see a sow thistle (safe) in the second picture.

I see a plant with small leaves growing among other, larger plants in pictures one through three; is this one of the plants you are trying to identify? It might be something in the mint family. Dracocephalum Rupestre is in that family but I'd be very surprised if that's what it is; as it's endemic to China. I don't believe it's made its way over here. If that's what you're trying to identify, can you get a picture? Are there any flowers on it?

The plant in the third picture is familiar to me but isn't anything you've listed. Did you think it was bittercress or the Dracocephalum? These plants should be okay in moderation, I'm just not sure that's what you've got there. :)

Sorry I missed this comment previously! So, my plant ID is sheerly from an ap on my phone which tries to Id plants by pictures. It works great for some things..my mother confirmed with her knowledge. However, with weeds I am not sure. Really, that is why I posted them..so get folk's opinions. Thanks for the info on Sow thistle. I did read that one of the others was Chinese (?), but we do have trees naturally growing here that also say they are endemic to China...not sure why. Well, I will have to so some weeding of some things. It seems like the ap is failing and since my guy will be new to us, Im not really into experimenting on unknowns. Cheers for the help!