Weed ID app

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
There is an app from the “fine" people of Ortho for weed and plant ID. This app is called, “Garden Compass" this app has a feature where you take a picture of the plant and provide a little background information ie, in what part of the world is it found, open sunny, shade you get the idea and email it to them. They have a staff of real live, breathing horticulturists that investigate and respond typically within 24 hours or less. I take the name of the plant to thetortoisetable website and enter the Latin name to find out if it's edible or not. Recently I used it for a droid user in Indonesia and let them know how I was using the info provided. When they got back to me, they noted that it is poisonous to grazing mammals but didn't know about turtles. I was impressed. Ortho, the weed killing people are helping us out with food id for our tortoises. I thought it was, "cool" as the kids say today.
It does seem to have droid issues though. Between that app and thetortoisetable site I come off as a smart cowboy. Just saying.

Natalie Jean

Uk, Cornwall
I downloaded this app on my iPhone the other day (when I saw you mention it on here before), and I must say it's great! Good find sir! And thank you for sharing it with us all! :D

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Wish I could take credit for this find, but I can't. I believe member in good standing, tffnytort originally mentioned it to me. I just exploited it. Glad you enjoy it's uses. I wish I had developed it.

On a side note; this is a FREE app.

littleginsu

10 Year Member!
Sierra Vista, AZ
It is funny that we use it to find weeds we can grow and feed our pets, instead of eliminate in order to have a nice lawn!

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Weed ID app

Cowboy_Ken said:
tffnytorts originally mentioned it to me

Psssst.. pssstt! Ken! I didn't mention it to you. Matter of fact, this is the first time I've heard of this app. Very cool!

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
tffnytorts said:
Cowboy_Ken said:
tffnytorts originally mentioned it to me

Psssst.. pssstt! Ken! I didn't mention it to you. Matter of fact, this is the first time I've heard of this app. Very cool!

Tiffany gets the full credit anytime we can't remember the original poster.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Just downloaded it! Glad the people polluting the planet are contributing something.

LoutheRussian

5 Year Member
Cornelius Or
I've used this app twice now and both times I got a reply saying they couldn't identify the plant

[TURTLE]LoutheRussian

T33's Torts

5 Year Member
Neverland!
Re: RE: Weed ID app

Cowboy_Ken said:
redbeef said:
posting to bump this thread

But redbeef, we're not supposed to do that!

Wait!

I saw Yvonne bumping the other day! I remember one of my first thread was closed due to members disobeying rule #196389- "no bumping" and then rule #183804- "No harassing moderaters"