Inland Empire, CA

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
A weed is a plant out of place.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
well put, Itort! my friends are always amazed at the "weeds" i have growing for my DTs. i have to explain to them that most of these plants used to grow naturally here (or nearby). they are impressed that tortoise food is simply "weeds"

tortania

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Oklahoma
I have neighbors who think I'm nuts because I ask them for their yard weeds (until I tell them what they're for) :p. You will find me many a morning in the warmer months in yards where no one is living picking dandelions and such:D. I make it a point to nurture my weeds, LOL.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
by the way, robyn your DTs will LOVE that desert mallow. theres a bunch of it around here. they have really pretty flowers

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Josh I have never seen the flowers I'm looking forward to that if they don't wipe it out. I planted zinnias, alyssum, pansies, bunches of seeds I got from the sale at Claremont on Desert plants for torts as well as bermuda seed. I also started some zuccini and yellow squash as well as some mixed greens and strawberries and one grape to go over the top of one of the Greeks pens and use it also for shade as well as leaves for the torts and in 2 years I may get grapes.

Feylin

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
When I was a kid, my Dad used to nag me to take Lois outside to "get the dandylions before the mower does". She still loves them, but we live in apartments now and I have to go begging to friends with organic lawns.

It's so hard to find anything around here that isn't covered in fertalizer or pesticides! I have a few sources, but now I have some space and I want to try and grow my own.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Feylin said:
It's so hard to find anything around here that isn't covered in fertalizer or pesticides! I have a few sources, but now I have some space and I want to try and grow my own.

I rent, so I grow most of my stuff in pots. I just set them outside and use organic soil. Most weeds tend to grow just about anywhere so I thought why not pots. Then I can pick at my leisure. I like to get the low trough type pots to plant low growing plants in so I can just let them graze from the pot, as they are low enough adults can reach the plants.

Status
Not open for further replies.