Weeds and red foots

Rarisden

Location (City and/or State)
Ft. Eustis Virginia
How important are weeds in a red foots diet?
We have had our little red foot for a little over a month. Currently they get kale, collards, mustard greens, turnip greens as staple. We have given strawberry, banana, and apple as a treat. Oh and a bit of hard boiled eggs once a week.
I am planning to grow a kiddie pool full of weeds in the spring, and will get a few hibiscus plants as well.
Am I messing up by not including weeds in his or her diet right now?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Weeds aren't a huge part of a Redfoots diet.
They can and do eat a very large assortment of foods up to 50% fruit.
No need to worry about weeds.
They can eat them. But they may or may not when you offer them.
Feed lots of hibiscus leaves, flowers, cactus, mushrooms, fruit,(especially berries) peppers, other green plant matter and some protein as you have been. Back off on the dark green leafy diet as a staple. That diet is too high in Oxalates as a staple.
Mix it up.
You can also introduce Mazuri tortoise chow if you can find the original "5M21" formula.
Don't stress about what you Don't have.
One of the best things about Redfoot is what they CAN eat.

Last edited:

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
No your not messing up. Weeds like dandelion and plantain are good but the most important thing is variety. Redfoots can eat all kinds of different things other torts cant. There is so many different greens, fruits, weeds, proteins they can have. Just try to switch it up and don't feed the same thing everyday.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Dandelion is a staple of my redfoot’s diet, but that’s because a local store here sells it year-round. He doesn’t seem to miss it when I do regular greens. As mentioned above, variety is the fun part! Mine isn’t much of a flower eater, and always goes for mushrooms/proteins first, even over his favorite fruit (figs!).

Banditboxer

Simsbury,CT
Weeds aren't a huge part of a Redfoots diet.
They can and do eat a very large assortment of foods up to 50% fruit.
No need to worry about weeds.
They can eat them. But they may or may not when you offer them.
Feed lots of hibiscus leaves, flowers, cactus, mushrooms, fruit,(especially berries) peppers, other green plant matter and some protein as you have been. Back off on the dark green leafy diet as a staple. That diet is too high in Oxalates as a staple.
Mix it up.
You can also introduce Mazuri tortoise chow if you can find the original "5M21" formula.
Don't stress about what you Don't have.
One of the best things about Redfoot is what they CAN eat.
What is 5m21?

Kipley

Seattle, WA
That puts you in a rare category. From what I read most tortoises would starve rather than eat the LS. Consider yourself a very locky tortie dad!
Yeah, I keep saying that I have an anomaly in the Tortoise world - the only tort that refuses the old formula and loves the LS.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Is the LS ok to feed a Redfoot? I assume it is? Mine won't touch the original, larger pellet, but absolutely loves the LS formula.
Perfectly safe.
And it's likely just as good or better as a food.
None of my REDFOOT will touch it...And they've eaten dog poop and dead rats....