Weeds I'm unsure of.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Texas
In my whole yard, I have ONE single whatever this is.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893748.450944.jpg

And there are a ton of these?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893799.541669.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893871.597164.jpg

Unsure about this stuff.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893840.691740.jpg

Clover or oxalis?
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893910.751753.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422893946.723169.jpg

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Don't know about the others, but that last one is oxalis. Heart shape leaves is the give away. I think that is filaree in the second photos (#2).

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
What's the best tortoise safe way to get rid of oxalis. I don't have a lot of it but it's poking out from under my fence in areas, like in this picture.

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
I agree the last one is Oxalis.
Sorry, I don't recognize the others. Post some flower pictures when they get to flowering.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
1. I don't know this one. Try the Garden Compass app.
2. This almost looks like my wild mustard, but not quite.
3. This almost looks like plantain, but I'm not seeing the normal lines in the leaves. Pull a few leaves and see if you get those whitish stringy fibers that always pull out of plantain leaves.
4. Oxalis. I carefully pull them out and try to get as much root as possible. It grows in clumps with a big tap root. It will keep coming back for a little while, but if persistent, you will win.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
3. This almost looks like plantain, but I'm not seeing the normal lines in the leaves. Pull a few leaves and see if you get those whitish stringy fibers that always pull out of plantain leaves.
4. Oxalis. I carefully pull them out and try to get as much root as possible. It grows in clumps with a big tap root. It will keep coming back for a little while, but if persistent, you will win.
Garden compass apparently thinks I live on another planet, they never know what I send them LOL.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, I'm goin' with mullein for the first one,

Tansy ragwort for the second one, but this is just a guess,

I'm stumped by the third one,

and oxalis is the last one. Oxalis has little 'bulbs' attached to its root system and if you yank out the plant the bulbs drop off and many new plants grow from them. So you have to dig them out, taking care to not break up the roots.

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I pulled a couple of leaves and tore them and this is what it looks like.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422909951.132900.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1422909962.517571.jpg

The leaves are smallish but it's growing in dense patches alongside sow thistle.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Garden compass apparently thinks I live on another planet, they never know what I send them LOL.

That is weird. They've hit all of mine with a 100% success rate.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I pulled a couple of leaves and tore them and this is what it looks like.
The leaves are smallish but it's growing in dense patches alongside sow thistle.

Definitely not plantain. I'm stumped. Have you got a local nursery you can take it to? All the ones around here have at least one native weed expert. They've never failed me either.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Wow, you guys are good ! Two weeks ago I just figured out which leaves where the arguella in the spring mix. Turns out spring mix varies with different companies. I havent been brave enough to tackle weeds !

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow, you guys are good ! Two weeks ago I just figured out which leaves where the arguella in the spring mix. Turns out spring mix varies with different companies. I havent been brave enough to tackle weeds !

Well get on it man. Weeds are the best food for them. Spring mix is okay sometimes, but not the best.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Man I suck at weeds! I know the last one . Sorry I always ask Yvonne . Its funny because every time I ask she knows . But you have some off the wall weeds . Haha If I don't know they are safe I dig them up .

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I have this weed here, but I don't know the name of it. Here it grows between my property and the street, so hard packed dirt and no moisture. Because of that it doesn't grow as rich as your pictured plant. It is only one starburst shaped plant. Eventually it puts up a fuzzy stalk and fuzzy buds with eventual flowers - small and yellow. If you cut it off at the roots and turn the plant over, its fuzzy and gray.

peasinapod

5 Year Member
Switzerland
1. I have a few Centaurea montana that look like that. Does it grow a strange but pretty flower?

Elohi

5 Year Member
Texas
I took these pictures to the nursery where I bought some plants for the tortoise yard and they couldn't identify any except oxalis.
They think the one may be mullein but weren't sure since it had the purple vein.