Weekly food plan for a Russian Tort?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Can someone please give me a week long food plan of what you would feed an adult Russian tort?

For example;

Monday; cabbage....
Tuesday; tomato...
Wednesday;
Thursday;
etc

I would just like to get a feel of what you would feed them, I wouldn't use this every week. :) :tort:

bextort

5 Year Member
Mine is super fussy, I've not had her all that long so maybe she's still settling but only thing she has tried is curly kale and cabbage leaf, not on a regular basis either. She's between 4-8 years old (so I've been told)
Oh and cress! :)

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
bextort said:
Mine is super fussy, I've not had her all that long so maybe she's still settling but only thing she has tried is curly kale and cabbage leaf, not on a regular basis either. She's between 4-8 years old (so I've been told)
Oh and cress! :)

I hope mine won't be so fussy!

Thanks for the response.

Saleama

5 Year Member
Irving Texas
I go with Kale-endive-collard greens, Kale-dandelion(when I can find it)-Cactus Pads, Spring Mix... rinse and repeat. I do not remove the spinach from the spring mix. The torts do that for me. Little dudes hate some spinach! I usually skip a day or two each week but I'm not sure of this practice. i was told Russians were very oportunistic eaters and would eat as much as possible because in the wild, they never know where their next meal is coming from, and that it is very easy to over feed them.

SpdTrtl

10 Year Member!
Austin, TX
I buy a large box of organic spring mix and a bag of mixed greens (kale, cabbage etc...). I buy different veggies EX: carrots, squash, orange, yellow, and red peppers and 1 cactus pad each week and from that just try to give them something a little different each day.
Once a week (usually on the weekend) I add a small portion of apple, pear, or strawberries as a little treat.
I also add mazuri to the greens with timothy hay mixed in at least once every 2 weeks or so, only one of my russians like this but I give it to them anyway.

But that's not all they eat, I like to let them wander the yard and eat the various weeds/plants.

There are so many different things they eat it would be very difficult to make a daily/weekly menu.

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
SpdTrtl said:
I buy a large box of organic spring mix and a bag of mixed greens (kale, cabbage etc...). I buy different veggies EX: carrots, squash, orange, yellow, and red peppers and 1 cactus pad each week and from that just try to give them something a little different each day.
Once a week (usually on the weekend) I add a small portion of apple, pear, or strawberries as a little treat.
I also add mazuri to the greens with timothy hay mixed in at least once every 2 weeks or so, only one of my russians like this but I give it to them anyway.

But that's not all they eat, I like to let them wander the yard and eat the various weeds/plants.

There are so many different things they eat it would be very difficult to make a daily/weekly menu.

Thank you very much!

From Ella

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Feed them weeds as long as you can harvest them in the Fall, and begin as early as you can in the Spring: dandelions, chicory, plantain, etc.
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Once you run out of untreated weeds, get organic spring mix as a base.
Then get one other green like Kale, Endive, Mustard greens, etc. Pick one each week, rotating from the list, and feed that with the Spring mix.
(Thanks Yvonne for that suggestion).
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Dark leafy greens or weeds. High in fiber, low in protein, low in sugar. Good for us too, use them in stir fry meals!

ElisTortoise

5 Year Member
UK
lynnedit said:
Feed them weeds as long as you can harvest them in the Fall, and begin as early as you can in the Spring: dandelions, chicory, plantain, etc.
http://russiantortoise.net/edible_plants.htm

Once you run out of untreated weeds, get organic spring mix as a base.
Then get one other green like Kale, Endive, Mustard greens, etc. Pick one each week, rotating from the list, and feed that with the Spring mix.
(Thanks Yvonne for that suggestion).
http://russiantortoise.net/russiantortoisediet.htm

Dark leafy greens or weeds. High in fiber, low in protein, low in sugar. Good for us too, use them in stir fry meals!

Thank you! Can I grow my own leafy greens or weeds?

From Ella

Status
Not open for further replies.