Weighing a large Tortoise

Tank'sMom

Location (City and/or State)
Olmito, Tx
How the heck do you do it??? We have guestimated that Tank is at least 100 lbs, but how on earth do you weigh these boulders??? I'd like to know how much he weighs for sure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I had a thread showing this technique on a large sulcata during a beak trim, but the search feature isn't working right now. When you high center them on the bucket it is pretty stable.

I use the bucket upside down and most scales will let you do "tare" weight to accommodate the bucket's weight.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, then your tortoise isn't as big as you think he is. If you put a 100lb tortoise on an inverted bucket, his legs are hanging out in the air, he is effectivly high-centered, and he can't go anyplace.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
Well, then your tortoise isn't as big as you think he is. If you put a 100lb tortoise on an inverted bucket, his legs are hanging out in the air, he is effectivly high-centered, and he can't go anyplace.
Oh no, he would fit on the bucket, no problem. My concern is he is so big if he moves or kicks his legs, throws off his balance, he will fall down, He's so strong!

Attachments

• Tank5.jpg
    Tank5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 41

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The heaviest tortoise I've put on an inverted 5 gallon bucket weighed 203lbs. He was immobilized, and no matter how hard he "swam" his legs, the bucket stayed right where it was.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
The heaviest tortoise I've put on an inverted 5 gallon bucket weighed 203lbs. He was immobilized, and no matter how hard he "swam" his legs, the bucket stayed right where it was.
Ok! You're the boss! I'll try that. Thanks for the tip!!! ;)

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida

* We use the same method for anything under 250 pounds!

IMG_2537.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There's no way I can pick mine up anymore. Last time William was here we tried to pick up So to put him on a bucket, and between the two of us we couldn't do it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I pulled a muscle in my back trying to move a 400 pound Aldabra last year. Not fun.

Tank'sMom

Olmito, Tx
I can't pick him up. My 6'4" strong construction worker husband can barely pick him up. It takes at least 2 people. Right now, I don't have a scale large enough to accommodate the bucket!

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Go on amazon and search package scales. There are some that are on the floor and made to weigh big boxes for shipping kind of like the scale at the airport. They are fairly cheap too, 30-40 dollars that max out at 200lb

Kyle

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
As long as you have something sturdy enough and they cannot get their feet on the object or ground. Wood block works.