Weighing the Big Guys

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigdog

5 Year Member
After reading some posts about large tortoises, (100lb+) I was just curious as to how they are being weighed? Mine is only 35lbs now and trying to figure out a better way to weigh her.

Thanks,
Mark

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I know some will place them on a upside down bucket that sits on the scale. That way they can't try to walk away.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I don't use a bucket, but it is the same idea. Get them high centered on the scale long enough to get a weight. They may still try to walk away so make sure their legs can't push/pull on whatever you place them on.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hold them with their carapace pressed up against your chest and step on to the scale. Then set the tortoise down and weight yourself alone. Do the math and you'll know what the tortoise weighs, and be reminded that you need might need to cut out the seconds or thirds at dinner time.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
Tom said:
and be reminded that you need might need to cut out the seconds or thirds at dinner time.
That's why I like to use the bucket to high center them.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The last time we weighed the largest aldabran tortoise it took three people to pick him up. They put him on an inverted 5 gallon bucket that was on the scale. At that time, two years ago, he weighed 187lbs. He is quite a bit bigger than that now. Next time a couple of strong and hardy guys come to visit I'm going to enlist them to weigh the monsters again.

The Petsmart near me (they have a vet office inside) has one of those walk-on scales for large dogs. Last time I was in I asked if I could bring a big tortoise to weigh on their scale and they said sure.

So, if you can get your tortoise into the wheel barrow, then into the truck, you can take it to Petsmart and weigh on their scale!

TigsMom

5 Year Member
Arizona
I asked this question a while back. Thought they must herd them into a horse trailer and haul them to the vet or freight scale. I had no idea that livestock/pet scales are actually affordable and not the $100's or thousands I'd imagine them to be. They actually can be found online for $60.00 and up and portable with Batteries too. Take the scale to the tortoise.
It sure would be alot easier just buying one, rather get a large tortoise into a truck to go somewhere to weigh them. Especially is you have several that you'd like to track their weight.

Or wait for a visitor to ask how much the monster weighs and have them weigh him. LOL Remember to never ask someone how much their tortoise weighs, you might get stuck with the job of weighing them.

bigdog

5 Year Member
I like the bucket idea, I may have to try that next time with mine. I know about those platform scales at vets offices and some pet supply places. That is how I weigh my mastiff. Last time I priced one of those scales they were close to $500.

Status
Not open for further replies.