Weighing your tort question

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtle_jenn_1231

5 Year Member
I've notice a lot of weight and measurements being posted. How often should I be doing this? My little tort is about 2months old now and I'm told they grow fairly slow at this point so I'm not sure if I need to be keeping track or not.

omgdoubletacos

10 Year Member!
When mine was a couple of months old, did measurements and weights every other week. Chomper is now about a year old and I try to do it once a month. I love watching my little guy grow

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Oregon
I weigh the leopards every first of the month for their first year. Then just every few months.

I weigh the Russians seasonally.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
My Juju is 2 1/2 months old, and I just bought a scale just for this purpose! He is 3" and 3.55 ounces (100.6 grams) as of today! I think it will be fun to weigh and watch him grow. I am positive he has more than doubled his weight since I got him a month ago, and he has grown 1/2"!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
I weigh and measure my leopards every Saturday. This is also the day I apply Vita-shell to their shells. They are 19 months and 25 months respectively... and I've had the since Feb. 2012

On the other hand.... WalkinRock gets weighed twice a year! but gets Vita Shell at every other growth cycle.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is a personal choice. You take down the vital statistics as often as you want to. It is a good way to tell if your tortoise is growing steadily. When they are small, I generally will make a pencil tracing around the tortoise on a piece of paper, and write the date in the line of the tracing. Then in a couple months I'll make another tracing on the same paper and in the same spot as the previous tracing. This shows you how much he's grown since the last time. Once a year a take a picture of each of the animals in my collection along with either a family member or something clearly identified as belonging to me, and include the picture in each tortoise's file. This way if I ever have to prove that an animal belongs to me, I have proof.

WillTort2

5 Year Member
I try to weigh my Russians about twice a month. I feel it gives me a idea and a record of how they are progressing. My aim is for a steady series of growth spurts. Torts like people seen to grow in spurts.

Good luck.

TerriTurtle

5 Year Member
Wyoming
WalkingRock is one awesome looking fellow! I can't wait until Juju gets there! I love Yvonne's idea of tracing the tort. I am going to start doing that too!

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
TerriTurtle said:
WalkingRock is one awesome looking fellow! I can't wait until Juju gets there! I love Yvonne's idea of tracing the tort. I am going to start doing that too!

hehehehehe If I tried that with WalkingRock.... he covers a whole piece of poster board!

Status
Not open for further replies.