Weight loss after deworming

Kimmers000

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Tacoma, WA
Hiya all,

My adult female “Golden” Greek had worms (I saw roundworms and fecal at the vet showed rounds, I think hooks, and giardia). Vet prescribed panacur - granules, 4 doses to be given 2 weeks apart. She’s due for dose number 3 this weekend. Before dewormer, she weighed 890 grams, now she’s down to 850 grams. She’s eating less and is more picky than she was pre-vet visit, but otherwise seems totally normal - activity level is the same, etc.

Is that weight loss anything to worry about? I’m sure that with a heavy worm load, just the loss of the worms themselves would cause some amount of weight loss, and since she’s no longer sharing her nutrients with her “guests,” maybe some decrease in appetite is also normal? She was a PIG before, now she still is hungry and gets excited to eat, she just doesn’t eat as much.

Thanks in advance!

Jay Bagley

Michigan
Hiya all,

My adult female “Golden” Greek had worms (I saw roundworms and fecal at the vet showed rounds, I think hooks, and giardia). Vet prescribed panacur - granules, 4 doses to be given 2 weeks apart. She’s due for dose number 3 this weekend. Before dewormer, she weighed 890 grams, now she’s down to 850 grams. She’s eating less and is more picky than she was pre-vet visit, but otherwise seems totally normal - activity level is the same, etc.

Is that weight loss anything to worry about? I’m sure that with a heavy worm load, just the loss of the worms themselves would cause some amount of weight loss, and since she’s no longer sharing her nutrients with her “guests,” maybe some decrease in appetite is also normal? She was a PIG before, now she still is hungry and gets excited to eat, she just doesn’t eat as much.

Thanks in advance!
I am no expert lol, but I am going through the worming process with my sulcata tortoise right now. He has not lost any weight from the process, but I do notice after giving him a dose of medication his appetite seems to be suppressed for the next day or two. My veterinarian had said the medication can cause a little bit of nausea.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Hiya all,

Thanks in advance!

Well, keep in mind that the worming meds is a poison....which will cause the tortoise to decrease their food consumption....be sure to be hydrating really well while offering the worming meds...also, you do not want to clear their entire system of all bacterium and such, so only the min to handle what you are trying to rid them of...