weight loss due to fasting for Hybernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Pontefract West Yorkshire U,K
I am preparing Shelby for his first Hibernation and he is on his 3rd day of fasting. his Temps and light are still normal this week as i a following the 4 week plan. I weigh him every day before bathing him to try to get him to poo. He as only gone on the first day but pasted urine the last too days. I now he is going to drop weight because he as not slowed down yet and he is emptying his stomach I also know they loss when they are hibernating too, and I need to monitor the weight loss. I am a bit worried though because he as dropped from 395 to 382 over the 3 days. Is this normal or is he losing too fast, He is still in the 19s on the Jackson Ratio so i am trying not to worry but if it looks like he is not coping and dropping to quick I will over winter him again. Any advice would be great, this is the first time I done his. :(

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
That sounds about right to me. Make sure he drinks. What's the four week plan? I would assume that his gut would be empty in two weeks. Also, good luck. I hibernate my box turtles, and it's always stressfull.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
That sounds about right to me. Make sure he drinks. What's the four week plan? I would assume that his gut would be empty in two weeks. Also, good luck. I hibernate my box turtles, and it's always stressfull.

I read to wind em down over 4 weeks

Week 1 no food bath everyday under heat lamp to get him to poo and drink, normal temps and 12 hrs light.

week 2 no food bath every day normal temp but reduce to 8 hours

week 3 no food bath every other day reduce through week to 4 hours

week 4 no heat or light move to a cool room or out building bath on day 3 dry place back in cool room, weigh on final day before boxing up and placing in fridge.

Shelby is 5 this year his weight before fast was 397g and length was 12.5 cm this put him in the 20s on jackson ratio he is now in the 19s, is the wind down to long for his size or is it ok I would hate to put him through all this for him to get too low at end and then have to fetch him back around. It not fair on him and not sure my nerves could take it lol

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Well, your plan sounds well thought out. I know that people in the UK have been hibernating these tortoises for many years. The only problems they seem to have is in the spring, when they wake them. I have read about deaths that often seem stroke-like. I think that some try to warm them too quickly. Do you do periodic weight checks over the winter? I check my turtles a couple of times through the winter, and will pull one if it seems to be getting too light, but I mostly do this by feel. I think I need to be a bit more scientific.

Tracy Gould

5 Year Member
yagyujubei said:
Well, your plan sounds well thought out. I know that people in the UK have been hibernating these tortoises for many years. The only problems they seem to have is in the spring, when they wake them. I have read about deaths that often seem stroke-like. I think that some try to warm them too quickly. Do you do periodic weight checks over the winter? I check my turtles a couple of times through the winter, and will pull one if it seems to be getting too light, but I mostly do this by feel. I think I need to be a bit more scientific.

I never done this before but yer i intend to check his weight often and know to pull him if he wees or loses to much weight. I did not know about warming them too quick, so what the best way? He is going in my mini fridge so am I best to take him out and keep him in a cool room for a while before putitng him back in his table if so how long should i cool room him?

yagyujubei said:

I never done this before but yer i intend to check his weight often and know to pull him if he wees or loses to much weight. I did not know about warming them too quick, so what the best way? He is going in my mini fridge so am I best to take him out and keep him in a cool room for a while before putting him back in his table if so how long should i cool room him?

yagyujubei said:

I never done this before but yer i intend to check his weight often and know to pull him if he wees or loses to much weight. I did not know about warming them too quick, so what the best way? He is going in my mini fridge so am I best to take him out and keep him in a cool room for a while before putting him back in his table if so how long should i cool room him?

Ok just read up on it, 1 hour in warm room, them place him near not under the lamp and let him find the lamp himself after he as warmed bath him for twenty mins keep water warm and let him drink do this twice a day for a few days. I think I got it lol

Status
Not open for further replies.