Weight of hatching

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
I have had Hatchback for about 6 weeks. When I got him the breeder said that he was 2 months old. Someone here stated that he thought he was older (after looking at photos), but I have no idea what age the other member thought he might be. Anyway, I weighed him on October 1st and he was 31.18 grams. I weighed him again today and he was 42.52 grams. Is this an expected weight gain? I am following Tom's care sheets and diet, but he is the first tortoise and first reptile that I have owned.
Tub.jpg

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
OH, USA
Yes, he is definitely a little older! I'm sorry, I've never had a baby, but that sounds okay. Healthy, growing babies gain a lot (that's not a lot, but still some, IMHO!) in a short amount of time. He looks like he had a bit of a dry start in his old home, how's his humidity now?

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Humidity is good now. Averages about 68%. He is soaked daily for about 30 minutes, sometimes a second soak. I am trying to make up for his bad start. How much older would you guess him to be? A month or two older or like a full year older? If he is close to a year he would be very small. I have read that Tom's babies are usually at 100 grams by the time they are 1 year old.

What about his appearance let you know he was older? Just curious and trying to learn as much as I can about these wonderful creatures.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
This isn't descriptive AT ALL, but in my opinion, he looks older. I've noticed in pic of members torts, older russians skins and shell begin to darken and 'fill out'.
He's probably not a year old yet... so maybe half a year? Although, he ay be stunted, because from the old owners care, he didn't get taken care of properly (wrong diet, too dry, so on) he might be a little stunted. So now, if he's much older, he'll start catching up.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thank you for the info. I was just wondering what you guys were seeing that tipped you off to his older age.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't see anything to make me think he's older than what you were told. 42 grams is good weight for that age, and this guy will probably be close to 100 grams at the end of next summer if you don't hibernate him.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply Tom. I will continue to weight him at least monthly. I have two more questions if you will indulge me...I have been dicing up a mixture of weeds when feeding him. I originally diced his food to wean him away from lettuce, but I am still doing so because he seems to eat so much more this way. My first question is: Do I have to give him a mix everyday, or can I give him Mallow one day and hibiscus the next and so on? I have been taking a little bit of every kind of food I have on hand and mixing it each day. Being in southern AZ we are still hitting 90 degrees. I have hatchback outdoors almost all day on weekends. I leave for work when it is still dark/chilly so he only goes out for about 1 1/2 hours during the work week. My second question is; How much of a concern is the lack of humidity when he is outdoors? I mist his enclosure, but it is a replica of your sunning enclosures and it doesn't stay humid long at all. He loves being outdoors and really travels much of the 4 x 8 area so I hate to cut his outdoor time. Do I need to be worried about him being in a less humid environment for 5 - 8 hours, two days a week? I do not have an UV source in his indoor enclosure as I prefer to use the sun. I will change that if you suggest I not leave him outdoors as much as I have been. Thanks again for all of your help!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You can feed one item one day and another the next. No problem. I do it both ways. Its all good.

Our climates are very similar. I think I get cooler summer nights than you, but similar highs, and similar winter temps. In my experience leaving small ones outside in our dry air for more than an hour or two does contribute to slow growth and pyramiding. I did the same sort of thing with my current russian babies, with the thinking that russians don't tend to pyramid as easily as some other species, and mine did the same thing yours is doing. This is the first batch of russian hatchlings I've raised since I figured out the whole pyramiding thing. Seems I should have been more concerned about the dryness in my area. The old adage that "tortoises do 'better' outside..." is not always true. Hatchlings and babies of every single species I've put my hands on do far better when kept correctly, mostly inside, with short daily sunning sessions for UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for a half hour of sun two or three times a week, that will meet his UV needs. And its no problem to skip a couple three weeks over winter cold spells. Ideally, I prefer an hour a day outside followed by a soak on the way in. Once they get over 100 grams, I think more outside time is fine, and I gradually increase their outside time as they gain size. The stability and lack of extremes indoors seems to do them a world of good.

Shutterbuginaz

5 Year Member
Thanks Tom. I will cut back on his outdoor time for the time being. I will see to it that he is outside just enough for some UV. Thanks again for the "hand holding"