Weight to Size & Estimated Age

Kiram

Location (City and/or State)
Hong Kong
Got my Kiram (Leopard) in June and was told she (assuming, could be a male) was 7 to 9 months. Only checked her weight today, 234g. and Shell approx. 10cm (approx. 4"). Is she good her for weight & size to be approx. a year old? Sorry a first time owner of a Tortoise and help would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
It's hard to tell you if that is a good weight and size because there is so much variability in leopard tortoises. To really give you a more accurate opinion, we would need information about the parents and siblings of your tortoise.

That said, I don't have any concerns at all with what you have said. A 4 inch tortoise weighing 239 grams at about a year old doesn't raise any red flags for me. Assuming the tortoise in your avatar is the one in question, I would say he looks pretty good.

Kiram

Hong Kong
It's hard to tell you if that is a good weight and size because there is so much variability in leopard tortoises. To really give you a more accurate opinion, we would need information about the parents and siblings of your tortoise.

That said, I don't have any concerns at all with what you have said. A 4 inch tortoise weighing 239 grams at about a year old doesn't raise any red flags for me. Assuming the tortoise in your avatar is the one in question, I would say he looks pretty good.
Thanks Neal but unfortunately got her from a pet store so no knowledge about her parents nor siblings available. Appreciate it.

Kiram

Hong Kong
Thanks Neal but unfortunately got her from a pet store so no knowledge about her parents nor siblings available. Appreciate it.
Suggest a monthly record of her weight & size would be sufficient? or every fortnight? Anything for my baby :)

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Suggest a monthly record of her weight & size would be sufficient? or every fortnight? Anything for my baby :)
Try to weigh at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency... straight after a soak is good as a poop can make a massive difference.

With young torts I'd say fortnightly is plenty drifting to monthly once things are firmly on track.

If there's concern, you might drop to weekly. But it is easy to get a bit paranoid so resist the temptation to do it too often

Kiram

Hong Kong
Try to weigh at roughly the same time of day each time for consistency... straight after a soak is good as a poop can make a massive difference.

With young torts I'd say fortnightly is plenty drifting to monthly once things are firmly on track.

If there's concern, you might drop to weekly. But it is easy to get a bit paranoid so resist the temptation to do it too often
Thank you.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
As long as you see a slow but steady growth and weight increase, i would say there's nothing to worry about. They grow at vastly differing rates.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Looks good to me too. Growth is within the "normal" range.