Weight Variance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Minnesota
We have been weighing Calvin regularily and his weight is all over the place...Is this normal? He eats twice a day.

11/30 354 grams(lightest ever weighs)

12/5 376 grams
12/9 382 grams
12/10 385 grams (7pm)
12/11 387 grams (heaviest weight)

12/12 369 grams (10am, after urates and BM)
12/15 354 grams (after urates and BM)
12/21 374 grams (after urates)
12/22 357 grams (12/22)
12/23 372 grams (7pm after urates)
12/25 369 grams (8am before eating)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cam I picked a time of day and a day of the week and stick to it. Torts weight will vary with water intake, a soaking, bowel movements; etc all this can drastically change his weight. I try to weight mine once a week before eating on Sat. It makes it seem less hectic and the weights seemed to even out.
Hopefully I am doing it OK. When my two got sick I weighed them more frequently but like you it seemed to bounce all over the place. So I went back to the once a week weigh-ins and sure enough they both started to even out and now are gaining their weight back.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
I will give the weekly routine a go.
Sounds logical enough to work:D

My main concern was for medicating, a dose based on where he is any given day could be quite different...he weighed in at 403 grams today, an all time high. But the meds could be based on a lighter weight which could in theory not be enough to do the job, but if based on his water weight could be too much and make him sick?!

So I can see where taking a weekly weight and perhaps just averaging it out would be the best course to follow, but then whatever will I obsess about...hmmm;)

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great! Thank you for the link to the thread as well.:D

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Cam said:
I will give the weekly routine a go.
Sounds logical enough to work:D

My main concern was for medicating, a dose based on where he is any given day could be quite different...he weighed in at 403 grams today, an all time high. But the meds could be based on a lighter weight which could in theory not be enough to do the job, but if based on his water weight could be too much and make him sick?!

So I can see where taking a weekly weight and perhaps just averaging it out would be the best course to follow, but then whatever will I obsess about...hmmm;)

When I took my sick Greeks to the vet they went by what their weight was at that time. They weren't concerned with my weight chart, any averaging, etc., just the weight they took when I brought them in.

Cam, we'll figure out something for you to obsess about so not to worry.;):p

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Crazy1 said:
When I took my sick Greeks to the vet they went by what their weight was at that time. They weren't concerned with my weight chart, any averaging, etc., just the weight they took when I brought them in.

Cam, we'll figure out something for you to obsess about so not to worry.;):p

Good to know that I probably do not need to bring in the notebook for his checkup...
Let me know what you come up with, right now I am having a rheumatoid flare so I am needing something other than the 3 kids, the 3 pets, the spouse, the house etc to 'focus' on;) to take my mind off the arthritis.

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
RE: Weight Variance Question (Update)

Okay.
We have been watching Clavin's weight slowly creep up sonce we brought him home on November 1st (7 months ago).
He is about 5 inches SCL.

He went from 354 grams the day we brought him home to today he weighed in at 454 grams!
Is this okay? Is he too heavy now?:(

What is a good rule of thumb for their weight?

Thank you:)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
He's a perfect weight for his size now. :D

Danny

Cam

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Minnesota
Great!
Thank you.
Should we just keep feeding him as we have been?
He seems to have slowed up on the amount he eats since we first got him. Initially he was eating 3 times a day and still begging for more. Now he eats a child size handful in the morning and the same amount in the evening.
Thank you again:D

egyptiandan said:
He's a perfect weight for his size now. :D

Danny

Status
Not open for further replies.