weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
I know that weight varies between each tortoise but I'm just curious about how much other babies gain each month. My sulcata is about 5-6 months old. He seems to gain about 50 grams per month give or take a few. Right now he weighs in at 255 grams. Anyway just curious. I'm also wondering if he will continue to keep gaining at this rate or if it tapers off at a certain age. Thanks :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Sorry...I've never paid that close attention to any baby that I've raised up. What I've done is to trace an outline around the baby on a piece of paper, then in a month or so trace another on on the same paper.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Yvonne G said:
Sorry...I've never paid that close attention to any baby that I've raised up. What I've done is to trace an outline around the baby on a piece of paper, then in a month or so trace another on on the same paper.

Hmm I guess that is another way to do it. I figure he is growing like a weed so he must be healthy. I was more just curious about other sulcata's and their growth and how it compares to my little Sheliford.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
A friend of mine received one of these babies at the same time I did. Hers is huge compared to Little Ricky. I couldn't do a side by side comparison at the time, but visually, hers seemed larger. I should point out also that when I received the two of them, I kept the larger of the two. Just goes to show, you just never know.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Tht seems to be the accurate weight gain for your young one. I will post on your thread later, with an image of my stats. I unfortunately lost the other page that I had been keeping stats on for my sulcata since June. Dexter, my sulcata, is now 13 months and 1,020 grams.

taiuk10

5 Year Member
My Russian tortoise put on 60grams in 6 months! They are about 3 years old

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
taiuk10 said:

The african Sulcata tortoise can gain that in a day. But, at the age it's at, it may gain that in one month. That's good gain for a Russian, in my opinion, for 6 months. I'm no expert though.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Cowboy_Ken said:
A friend of mine received one of these babies at the same time I did. Hers is huge compared to Little Ricky. I couldn't do a side by side comparison at the time, but visually, hers seemed larger. I should point out also that when I received the two of them, I kept the larger of the two. Just goes to show, you just never know.

Wow that is interesting to see the difference and how the bigger one is actually the smaller one now. I don't mind how fast or slow my little Sheliford grows as long as he is healthy.

Blake m said:
Tht seems to be the accurate weight gain for your young one. I will post on your thread later, with an image of my stats. I unfortunately lost the other page that I had been keeping stats on for my sulcata since June. Dexter, my sulcata, is now 13 months and 1,020 grams.

Ok great thanks. I don't mind if my little Sheliford grows fast or slow as long as he seems to be healthy. I was just curious to see how others grow. What do you feed yours?

taiuk10 said:

I have no experience with Russian torts. So 60 grams is a lot then? I guess since Sulcata's are one of the biggest that is why they gain more.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Yeah, they all grow differently! Health is definitely KEY. MY sulcata is recently outside 24/7 in a greenhouse. I you can, you can look at my "outside enclosure" thread and you'll see everything Dexter eats. I feed mazuri 2x a week as well, and I'm trying to introduce grassland tortoise feed.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
bookwurm1982 said:
That's my only goal for Little Ricky. Healthy, smooth growth.
If feed wild weeds, ( dandelion, plantain, cats ear, clover) 4-5 times a week and soaked Mazuri tortoise chow 2-3 times with greens always available.

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367354402.763760.jpg
I've recently found out that Dexter may be a Sudan sulcata. So weight will be dramatically different. Lets see a picture of your sulcata!

Last edited by a moderator:

Blakem

10 Year Member!
California
Dexter is now 1,017 grams.

erica anne said:
How did you find out he was a Sudan?

I don't know for sure, but three members have told me Dexter MAY be a Sudan. Dexter is only 13 months so it's way too early to detect. I contacted the original owner an I am waiting for her to reply.

bookwurm1982

5 Year Member
Blake m said:
I've recently found out that Dexter may be a Sudan sulcata. So weight will be dramatically different. Lets see a picture of your sulcata!

I'm not familiar with a Sudan sulcata. I guess I thought there was only one type. So are they just bigger or are there other differences?

Robbie Denby

10 Year Member!
Nottingham
bookwurm1982 said:
I know that weight varies between each tortoise but I'm just curious about how much other babies gain each month. My sulcata is about 5-6 months old. He seems to gain about 50 grams per month give or take a few. Right now he weighs in at 255 grams. Anyway just curious. I'm also wondering if he will continue to keep gaining at this rate or if it tapers off at a certain age. Thanks :)

I don't think there is a growth rate they are ment to grow at, I've had my sulcata for 8 months! He's said to be in his second season and he only weighs 240g!

Status
Not open for further replies.