Weird fruit, hybrids? Pineberries?

jeff kushner

Location (City and/or State)
North of Annapolis
Have you guys heard of Pineberries? Maybe you guys have seen them for years.....I saw them when we went to the grocery store yesterday so of course I got some along with reg strawberries etc. I like them. They are a little sweeter but I don't really detect any other fruit...certainly not pineapple, although the flesh of the fruit is a little sweeter and "stringy-er", not bad, like a real ripe peach. They are good, but not double the price-good...if that's makes sense.

I think I asked about strange fruits about a year ago so I won't do that again but it's my "new thing for the day"!

I set one of each up for Matilda....she loves the pineberry! It's kind of neat to see her preference. I put the long slices in the strawberry to make it easier for her to get through the skin. The heat from the lamp wilts fruit/vegs after a day but she ate a little reg strawberry. She looks like she walked on the cherry....not sure if she was trying to eat it or not. LOLfruit cup.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
According to my friend, Google, pineberry is a white strawberry cultivar that tastes like pineapple.

jeff kushner

North of Annapolis
I really try to stay away from judgment calls....but I think "google" is cheating Y....lol

I kinda of assumed with "pineberry" being their name, they probably weren't mixed with pinecones but maybe mine aren't ripe enough to get the full pineapple bouquet yet?

I can't believe that no one else has seen these. Maybe you guys shop at the high-end store and they've had them for years so it's passe`? We were at Aldi's, the cheap store.....LOL come on, my sweetheart is a school teacher!

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
I picked up a package of them at Aldi too. I wasn't impressed at all, tasted like an unripe strawberry.