Weird leg movement?

Kristielllen

Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
Hello. Does anyone else’s tortoise move it’s legs in and out slightly when they’re just laying down? She’ll be laying with her back legs straight out and slowly pull them in and out. I have a video but I don’t know if I can upload it here.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome,
What species and age of tort do you have?
I thought you were talking about the front legs and was going to say it sounds like normal breathing, but I realise you're talking about his back legs.
A video would help but they do sometimes stretch their legs in and out, although it's not something I've seen mine do in quick succession.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure with the substrate you use so we can see if there's anything affecting him.

Kristielllen

Massachusetts
Hi and welcome,
What species and age of tort do you have?
I thought you were talking about the front legs and was going to say it sounds like normal breathing, but I realise you're talking about his back legs.
A video would help but they do sometimes stretch their legs in and out, although it's not something I've seen mine do in quick succession.
Can you post a picture of his enclosure with the substrate you use so we can see if there's anything affecting him.
She’s a spekes hingeback! I don’t know the exact age but I believe she’s young. I use a mix of repti bark and sphagnum moss. I’ve seen her do this a few times since I got her.

I uploaded this video to YouTube so you can hopefully see it!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
She’s a spekes hingeback! I don’t know the exact age but I believe she’s young. I use a mix of repti bark and sphagnum moss. I’ve seen her do this a few times since I got her.

I uploaded this video to YouTube so you can hopefully see it!
That’s normal breathing.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
Hello. Does anyone else’s tortoise move it’s legs in and out slightly when they’re just laying down? She’ll be laying with her back legs straight out and slowly pull them in and out. I have a video but I don’t know if I can upload it here.
My zombensis hingeback does the same, even when soaking, I was also worried, but luckily it is normal!

imaperson507

Hickman Nebraska
Yes I have 2 Russians and there legs are just out and moving sometimes when they are basking

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Good to check but totally normal. Best to regularly get them walking about in front of you on all 4s to check no issue and their not injured.