well guys... this is big.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weda737

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
NC
I think, I'll be a home owner. I'm talking to a guy now, to possibly buy this place. It's a mobile home, and let me tell you it is trashed. The worst kind of white trash scum lived there. We will have to replace a lot of sheet rock walls. And scrub everything and repaint. But the land guys, oh the land is awesome. It's tucked in to itself, two acres of land, a pond already dug out, just needs to be filled. And a creek running right beside it. A small wooded hill pretty much wraps around the property, the ditch needs to be dug back out a bit so the runoff from the hill doesn't flood my yard but they guy has the equipment and said he'd do that for me. A shed/ garage thing that would fit 4 cars. I took pics if you want to see. It has so much potential, but it's going to need a lot of work, not particularly expensive work, but some serious elbow grease. Oh it's a tortoise perfect place though! He wants 10K for it. Best of all, it will be mine, no one can tell me to leave. Not bad for my first place, I'm only 24 :p

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
congrats!!! location? Pictures?
look into putting a new home on it.. they sell prefab home pretty 'cheap'.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Laura said:
congrats!!! location? Pictures?
look into putting a new home on it.. they sell prefab home pretty 'cheap'.

I really do need to look into that, It's gonna take me a while to come up with this kind of money again... The location isn't too far from where I'm at now, I can still work my job and not have to transfer.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
A fixer-uper is a perfect 1st home....and one that comes on a piece of property making it a Drag-off- and- rebuilder is even better! and the price is OUTSTANDING!

Good Luck!:)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Sounds like a keeper. I would save up to build your forever home. Just think of all the tortoises and turtles you could have:D

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This sounds like the perfect first home site if this is where you want to stay (NC). It is always a plus to be able to live in one house while building another on the same site, if this is what you want to do, and if there is a suitable home site above the water level. And having another building for garage etc. is a plus also. Make sure all the utilities are good, electric/gas, plumbing, especially the sewage system. Those can all be very expensive to fix if you were to have a problem. Congratulations!! Sounds like the perfect tortoise playground. :cool:

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Sounds like a place full of possibilities! Doing all the cleaning and fixing up may look huge from where your standing now, but once done it will give you an even greater sense of pride!

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I lived in a trailer..in a park...alot of ppl think ppl who live in trailers are called "low class" or "white trash" chuck it all up to ignorance tho! ..however I loved my trailer...I think you will like it one it gets fixed up..can't beat the land you will be getting too...a word of advice though....one of the most important things you should do if you do buy it is have the roof sealed...make sure you do that it is very important...then work on the rest as it comes up...oh and another thing..they get cold in the winter and hot in the summer, believe me!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes to what jojodesca said. As long as you have to replace the sheet rock anyway, be sure to add insulation in the walls and ceiling. Otherwise your new mobile home can be an oven. $10K seems like a great price for all that land alone, let alone with a mobile home on it too. Is it hooked up to sewer, or septic tank?

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Yup there is a septic tank, he says he just had the land surveyed/ inspected and all that, I don't know the right terms lol but he had the well and tank both checked out. I'm supposed to meet with him tomorrow and see all the paperwork. I appreciate the advice guys, to be honest I don't really have a family, I'm kinda the black sheep. I'm the one with good sense and no addictions... other than reptiles.. shhhh. Point is, I don't really have the help and support I would like. We are going to put some insulation in, my dad is supposed to be doing most of this, he has a lot of the materials already as this is what he does for a living. Thing is, he's an alcoholic, I'm not saying he has a beer now and then, I mean it's all day every day. In a backwater place like this, you can get away with that kind of thing.

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Weda737 said:
Yup there is a septic tank, he says he just had the land surveyed/ inspected and all that, I don't know the right terms lol but he had the well and tank both checked out. I'm supposed to meet with him tomorrow and see all the paperwork. I appreciate the advice guys, to be honest I don't really have a family, I'm kinda the black sheep. I'm the one with good sense and no addictions... other than reptiles.. shhhh. Point is, I don't really have the help and support I would like. We are going to put some insulation in, my dad is supposed to be doing most of this, he has a lot of the materials already as this is what he does for a living. Thing is, he's an alcoholic, I'm not saying he has a beer now and then, I mean it's all day every day. In a backwater place like this, you can get away with that kind of thing.

well we have something in common, We are both the black sheep

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Sounds too good to be true. Proceed with caution. Pay for your own inspection first.

If its legit, it sounds great, and I sure hope it works out for you!

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
The guy bought it cheap, it was a foreclosure thing. I think he paid 6k for it. He has other land and stuff he's trying to sell too. I think he just wants to get rid of some of it, I know he has 2 other places he's selling this week.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What Tom said, and also make sure it goes through a title company. Don't do any 'private' deals with the seller. There will be some title fees (you can split those with the seller), but it is well worth the insurance that it is legit.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
Congrats. I bought my house as a foreclosure and the best part of fixing it up is that you get to make it exactly how you want it.

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
Kerryann said:
Congrats. I bought my house as a foreclosure and the best part of fixing it up is that you get to make it exactly how you want it.
That's my silver lining right there, I have the bare basics, now I can make it how I want.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Make sure you have the septic inspected as well as have a water level survey done for the well water....you want to make sure it is not going to dry up on ya...re drilling is uber expensive...

Wishing you the best of luck...oh and word of advice...when you don't know what something is called try to not use the word "thingy"....as this is a dead give away you have little to no knowledge about something and if you are dealing with the wrong person you will be completely taken to the cleaners....:D

Weda737

5 Year Member
NC
ascott said:
Make sure you have the septic inspected as well as have a water level survey done for the well water....you want to make sure it is not going to dry up on ya...re drilling is uber expensive...

Wishing you the best of luck...oh and word of advice...when you don't know what something is called try to not use the word "thingy"....as this is a dead give away you have little to no knowledge about something and if you are dealing with the wrong person you will be completely taken to the cleaners....:D

lol thanks but I'm well aware of that, I'm completely different when I'm talking business with someone. I'm a "no games, no BS" Person, he knows my mom and already told her that he really respects me.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Tom said:
Sounds too good to be true. Proceed with caution. Pay for your own inspection first.

If its legit, it sounds great, and I sure hope it works out for you!

Status
Not open for further replies.