Well, I have my first annoyed CDT for the season...lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Apple Valley, California
So, I was worried that with the new job I had missed my opportunity to cover Ghamaras natural dug burrow....was a bit bummed and worried for the approaching winter (kinda hoping we have a bit of one this year--not torrents of rain or anything, but some would be favorable)...well, today--I began Ghamar tortoise watch 2012 (kinda like channel 7 and their "storm watch"--silly I know) and so I went out about every half hour or so until I began to get impatient :)P). So, I usually will knock on his burrow entrance each day during the peak season to let him know I have supplements (aka; goodies) and in response to my knocks comes a bit of a dust rocous and scraping noises and poof--he appears wild eyed looking for food.... so I knocked this morning--nothing---I knocked a bit like the police (so I have heard:D) and I hear a scraping (like his famous spin around) down there and then nothing--so I go away ----come back about half hour later and repeat---and stick my big ole head right up to the entrance and give a hollar down there--well, here came the dust rocous and scraping and he shoots out--YAAAAAY...so he is out and what does he do first, begins to graze on the mallows --so I let him be and go have a seat on the porch---watching the master pruner at work--for like half an hour...well, I see him them do his beeline back across the 100 foot walk back to his yard (this is his peak season routine when we do walks across the property) so I forget that I did not cover the burrow and sprint past him (yes, actually this means me walking normal and leaving him behind, sprinting to a tortoise I am sure...lol) I cover the entrance and about 5 minutes later he arrives home and begins to circle where his front door is normally at...I tell ya he paced then circled the spot like---slowly at first, then quicker and then he stood right on top and stretched his neck out as far as it would go and looked left and right multiple times, kinda like--"I know it was here, where the heck did I leave it"--edits here from a woman who has lost track of her car a time or two in a parking lot during christmas shopping....so I lift him and plop him right in front of his above ground barrel/dirt hide---he backs up (yes, backs straight up) and begins his search.....

I really do not like this time of year for this very reason....while I have a moment of chuckle because of the stretched neck and left and right searching, I know he must be like "seriously, this so happened last year, what the heck?"

So, for the rest of the daylight afternoon here I will keep doing my leering out towards his yard to make sure he has not dug under my entrance blocking panels (he did this one time last year, the little gladiator) and he usually tries for the rest of the daylight hours then retreats in annoyance (totally me using human opinion here) to the above ground condo and there after he seems he is resolved that it is getting that time of year.....The other three have their barrel/hides in such a way that when the days turn consistently cool and the nights are cold--after a week or two of this I can slide the flat skinny shovel right under them and slip them out of their hides and into their sleep digs in the house in their cool, dry dark closet...I already miss them....

Thanks for reading and I know, silly woman....

Status
Not open for further replies.