Well SH#@$%&T!!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I was on the computer and the kittens were playing between the back of the desk and the wall. My monitor goes dark. I traced the two cords from the back of the monitor. One goes to the computer, and it's plugged in and secure. The other goes to the power source and it's also securely plugged in. But when I hit the 'on' button for the monitor it says, 'no VGA signal from your device.'. What the hell is the "device"?

It's impossible to get behind the desk. It's a terrible mess of tangled wires. But far as I can tell everything seems to be plugged in. I turned off the power to the surge protector, counted to ten then back on - same message on the screen.

Please don:t tell me I'm going o have to call a computer geek out here because my kittens were playing amongst the wires!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
One at a time, follow each wire. If you find one not plugged in, look for a matching receptical.

I'd come help you move the desk, but its too far.

Good luck!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Device is PC. Can you take picture of cable from pc where it's plugged into monitor, so we can make sure its a vga cable. It's possible you bumped the source button on monitor while checking everything and it's looking for something not there.

If it is a vga cord and right "source" is selected, then it might be loose cable at monitor or pc. vga cables have 2 thumb screws so that'd be the next thing I'd try.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One at a time, follow each wire. If you find one not plugged in, look for a matching receptical.

I'd come help you move the desk, but its too far.

Good luck!
Too far? A likely excuse!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Device is PC. Can you take picture of cable from pc where it's plugged into monitor, so we can make sure its a vga cable. It's possible you bumped the source button on monitor while checking everything and it's looking for something not there.

If it is a vga cord and right "source" is selected, then it might be loose cable at monitor or pc. vga cables have 2 thumb screws so that'd be the next thing I'd try.
Thank you. I actually unscrewed the two screws, pulled out the cord, then put it back in and screwed it back down. But I was finally able to get the stoopud DEVICE to recognize the monitor by turning the computer off, waiting 10 seconds then turning it back on. All systems go, and another crisis averted!