Went to the Zoo

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bansh88

I went to the San Diego Zoo on Friday. We hit up just about everything but of course I paid special attention to the Torts.
Galapago's were all out and cruising. 2 of them were getting it on. The male was making his grunting sounds which was kinda neat to hear.
I saw the Sulcatas and the Leopards. Their enclosures are kinda dusty so their shells wern't much to look at.
They have a large Burmese enclosure which was great. I don't recall seeing those last time. They look sweet!
The only Deserts they have are 2 small ones in the Reptile House. Being in SD, I would think they would have a larger spot and more specimens for the Desert Tortoise.
The best exhibit was a small spot over by the Apes. They had Pancake Tortoises which I have never seen. At first I was kinda bummed because their enclosure seemed so small. Then I noticed up on the wall was Tortoise hanging out! Those things can climb!
The other sweet thing was a Parrot Beaked Tortoise. I have never heard of these. I don't know if they were adult or juvenile but they were only about 6-7". Very cool looking.
I didn't take any pictures but we got annual passes so we will be back soon and often. I'll take a bunch of pics next time.

Rees2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Santa Cruz California
I've never heard of a parrot beaked tortoise too.I don't live close enough to the san diego zoo:(.I live closer to the San Francisco Zoo it only has three tortoises:(.

llllshaunllll

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
shame you dident take no pics i would have loved to see the tortoises. :D, hope fully you will next time m8 :)

K

Kyrazy

OK, that's it! I'm renewing my zoo membership now. I've been "meaning" to do it for a few months.

Thanks for the kick in the butt!
K

B

Bansh88

Ya. The wife and I have been procrastinating about it for a while now. With the new baby, it made even more sense. It's SO cheap. We signed up online and it was only like $71 for 2 passes.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I went to the SD zoo years ago when visiting CA for a Tortoise symposium. I was very pleased at seeing the Galapagos pen. I really liked the outdoors bearded dragon colony. Don't see displays like that here in Nebraska.

Is their membership pass like ours here? One where you can then also get in free at other zoos throughout the country?

B

Bansh88

Zoo pass is also good at the Wild Animal Park here in San Diego

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
the wild animal park is incredible. i went once when it was raining and the rhinos were chasing each other around. the weather really gets the animals worked up

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I was at the san diego zoo in may and I do not remember seeing anything but the galapagos and the leopards. Also a snapper, and I think I did see the torts in the small enclosure. I don't remember seeing the pancake torts or the parrot beak torts. :( I took lots of pictures so I will try to get all pics loaded by the weekend. The one galapagos was staring at the camera, that was the only movement we saw that day, besides the school kids running around trying to get info, so of course I helped them out. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.