Went With the Orchard Hay...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Howdy,

Well I went to the local feed store...was about to buy ($16.95) my regular bale of alfalfa hay (our sulcata goes through it in about 3 months... the beast)...but it looked so freakin' dry. Like old pumpkin patch bales. A scarecrow sans overalls. Throw a match and sayonara!

Sooo...I went with the orchard hay. Looked nice and green and fluffy. Was told it's fairly low protein.

Any thoughts on orchard hay? Did I make a good choice? The old guy is currently munching away (with a few cactus apples treats).

securedownload3q.jpg
[/URL]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/img]

securedownload6h.jpg
[/URL]

securedownload7z.jpg
[/URL]

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Orchard hay is probably the best thing for them. For the last few years I've been using Bermuda grass hay, and that is good too, but I was recently told by the largest producer of sulcatas in the world that the orchard hay is better. I like both and still plan to use both. Probably will use mostly orchard hay with some occasional Bermuda thrown in.

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Orchard hay is probably the best thing for them. For the last few years I've been using Bermuda grass hay, and that is good too, but I was recently told by the largest producer of sulcatas in the world that the orchard hay is better. I like both and still plan to use both. Probably will use mostly orchard hay with some occasional Bermuda thrown in.

Good to know. I'm taking these last few weeks before college resumes to revamp tort stuff. Re-supply food, new heated house (with a ceramic heating lamp thingy)...and since I found you guys, I decided on finally adding a new tort to the family -- young "high white," Leopard. Putting together his/her enclosure as we speak...er, type.

Know of a very reasonable place to buy supplies i.e. UV bulbs, heat pads, etc.? I'm thinking about doing it on amazon.com...

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Are you the one that got the beautiful high white leopard from fauna with a pricey price tag? It was a looker for sure. Post pics of your leopard. We don't get to see many whites.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I use orchard hay for the hatchlings...and alflafa for everyone else!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
BTW, well trained tort sitting there on the hay bail:p:D. Seriously, your tort and dog very cute

chris_m90731

5 Year Member
wellington said:
BTW, well trained tort sitting there on the hay bail:p:D. Seriously, your tort and dog very cute

Ha, yes. Thanks! It's a new breed of Ivory Blue Sulcata. It's gonna be all the rage in like 3 years.

My son, Ellroy the dachshund, is 3 years old and reclining on my back as I type...

Status
Not open for further replies.