We're gonna need a bigger incubator

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
This is all from one female, 3 clutches laid 3 weeks apart. 22 eggs in there altogether, not including the 2 she discarded and trampled over. As far as I can tell 6 are surely fertile with veins already growing. Not too bad for her first egg lying season. This is very exciting for me!

005-1.jpg

Even though it's a small incubator the temperatures on the top are at 88 and the bottom is at 86, hopefully I will have a good mix.

The proud parents. Male on the right, female on the left.

002.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
They're about 2 inches all around. Thank you.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Wow! That's great Neal. What the heck are you feeding her? I need to get me some. Didn't anyone tell her she's supposed to take it easy at first?

Just wait until you get your first pip. Its a joy unlike any other.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Oh wow those are leopard eggs? tell her good job and keep up the good work.

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Tom said:
Wow! That's great Neal. What the heck are you feeding her? I need to get me some. Didn't anyone tell her she's supposed to take it easy at first?

Just wait until you get your first pip. Its a joy unlike any other.

I actually don't feed her. I have so much stuff in my backyard, grass, rose bushes, hibiscuss, Aloe Vera, etc, they just eat whatever they want. It might have something to do with them mating 2 or 3 times a day though.

dmmj said:
Oh wow those are leopard eggs? tell her good job and keep up the good work.

Yup those are leopards. I told her to keep em coming.

TylerStewart

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV.
Congrats! I got a leopard clutch on 8-31 (12 eggs) and another from a different girl a few days ago on 9-5 (14 eggs). Seems to be the season!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Laura said:
DO you give extra calcium when she is laying.. or do you notice her eating different plants?

After she laid the first clutch I got some Mazuri from Tortoisesupply.com. She eats a lot of that more than the others, but I don't think it has effected her egg laying. I didn't notice her eating a specific type of plant when it came close to her lying eggs.

I have never given my adults any suplementation. Clearly with her lying viable eggs they are getting enough calcium. Their growth is consistent, and I think oversupplementing might be more of an issue than not providing enough, so I don't mess with it for the adults.

Tortuga_terrestre

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I love the fact that you posted pictures of the parents. It gives perspective buyers an idea of how big and the appereance of the hatchlings, when they reach adulthood. Most breeders have colonies and have no idea, who the parents are? I believe pyramiding is due to poor diet and many other factors, but I also believe its genetic. I want to aquire 100% p.pardalis from trusted sources and only breed the best. I personally prefer darker shelled leopards with lots of spots and markings which make the leopard tortoise unique. The Leopard Tortoise Below is a prime example of what I would strive for.

pardalisdark.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I'm not aware of any evidence that pyramiding is genetic. It's all to do with humidity and hydration. I plan on keeping most of the hatchlings, but will sell some too. They will be kept in a set up similar to what Tom is doing with his sulcatas. You can see from the pictures that my adults are pyramided, if the hatchlings have smooth shells I think the genetic thing can be thrown out. Atleast as far as I'm concerned. Maybe some of the other breeders on here who have had more experience can comment on genetics and pyramiding.

I'm also a big fan of the dark leopards, you can see mine are dark for the most part. These are p.babcocki. Good luck in your search!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I really like the dark look myself, but so rarely do I see any. Will be interesting to see what all the youngings turn out looking like (as both hatchlings and older with the ones you keep). Congrats and enjoy the high flyin' feeling your experiencing now and hold on for when they hatch, not much can beat that feeling. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.