2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio
Hello! I have kept two western hingebacks, Kinixys nogueyi, for 20 years, and before that I unsuccessfully kept Home's hingebacks.

I'm a scientist by training, so when doing research, I access the scientific literature that is available through databases like Google Scholar. Fortunately, several researchers in Africa have recently completed studies of the three species that inhabit the forests and savannas of West Africa: Kinixys homeana, Kinixys erosa, and Kinixys nogueyi (Kinixys belliana nogueyi).

What's fascinating is that in the wild, all three of these species have the potential to interact and live in the same habitats. Kinixys nogueyi has been able to take advantage of the forest hingebacks' habitat range unfortunately due to habitat destruction.

These papers are quite insightful for any owner of Home's Hingebacks, Western Hingebacks, or Serrated Hingebacks. These are NOT light reads, but they contain a TON of information. I have read each one and have found them insightful.

Perhaps this post can be "pinned" to this forum- I'm not sure how that happens.

I hope these articles spur lots of discussion and help us all keep better care of our hingebacks that are from western Africa.

-Tom

Attachments

• crm_5_084_erosa_v1_2014.pdf
    4.1 MB · Views: 23
  • AspectsoftheecologyofthetortoiseKinixysnogueyiLataste1886inTogoandNigeriaWestAfrica.pdf
    360.5 KB · Views: 23
  • crm_5_070_homeana_v1_2013(1).pdf
    652.6 KB · Views: 17

2turtletom

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Akron, Ohio