West Coast Weather

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
I feel bad for just about every outdoor animal in LA currently…

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Yes, it's a terrible situation. The pets suffer from their owner's apparent abandonment on top of the horror and fear of the storm conditions. They can't understand.

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Los Angeles
I think about the strays out there, as well as the ones that are outdoor "pets" but really without care. Its heartbreaking.

My garage actually leaked overnight. Water seeping up through the floor. Not a good mix with electricals for tortoises! fortunately not that bad, and now that I know I can monitor it...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Here in Central Calif. we're having way more rain than normal. We had high winds yesterday, but nothing too severe. But the ground is so saturated that all around Fresno many mature trees have toppled. It's quite the mess. Thankfully, because my lot is elevated, there's no flooding or damage here. I keep waiting for my next door neighbor's euc. trees to drop limbs onto my tortoise shed, but so far so good. https://abc30.com/windy-weather-wind-fresno-downed-trees-uproot-frsno/11988515/

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
We have a lot of "outdoor pets" here in Jamaica. Dogs and cats that fend for themselves as best they can in bad weather like hurricanes. People get puppies for their kid's amusement, then just let them loose in the neighborhood when they stop being little and fun. This is a rural area, with no regulatory animal monitoring. These animals are on their own in any dangerous situation, and they must have feelings of loss and fear when they get locked out and rejected.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I live on a hill too, so no flooding in bad weather. Just a leaking roof!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
1673369085963.png

This is an intersection in North Fresno. Needless to say, our sewer system is struggling to maintain water flow.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
We've had 2 power outages so far. One while I was away at the Pomona Reptile show and I had to drive home early and Tom and Will had to cover the show for me and Tom took all my show stuff home with him. I had to buy 2 generators in the LA area when stores opened Sunday morning and drive home 5-1/2 hours as all stores in our area were out of generators. The tortoises were without power for about 8 hours. The power went out 11PM Sat and first thing Sun morning a friend living closer by cam over with a generator to loan us. Brenda ran power cords to all enclosures and night boxes. I converted over to the new generators when I got home about 2PM. We had lots of pasture flooding the previous storms and this one, but this was the first power outage. Power was restored about 5PM Sunday, but then had another outage 2AM Mon morning that lasted about 2 hours. Last night a big lightning storm but not power outage. @NorCal tortoise guy did loose power last night and has everything running on generator now.

Our pastures are flooding with so much rain but does drain down within several hours of the rain stopping. Here's a picture of the Galapagos winter pasture. I did build the night houses on an elevated pad to ensure the night house does not flood with them locked inside. This is as high as the water gets in these past storms:

IMG_0474(1).jpg

Here's the same area yesterday afternoon:

IMG_0491(2).jpg

PollyAda

West Midlands, England
That's horrendous! I can imagine it's very stressful for all you CA residents. I would never have guessed those photos were taken in CA if someone hadn't told me. Mark's photos resemble my part of England when the River Severn gets too high, which it is at the moment. My town looks like Yvonne's photo on a really bad year.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
We've had 2 power outages so far. One while I was away at the Pomona Reptile show and I had to drive home early and Tom and Will had to cover the show for me and Tom took all my show stuff home with him. I had to buy 2 generators in the LA area when stores opened Sunday morning and drive home 5-1/2 hours as all stores in our area were out of generators. The tortoises were without power for about 8 hours. The power went out 11PM Sat and first thing Sun morning a friend living closer by cam over with a generator to loan us. Brenda ran power cords to all enclosures and night boxes. I converted over to the new generators when I got home about 2PM. We had lots of pasture flooding the previous storms and this one, but this was the first power outage. Power was restored about 5PM Sunday, but then had another outage 2AM Mon morning that lasted about 2 hours. Last night a big lightning storm but not power outage. @NorCal tortoise guy did loose power last night and has everything running on generator now.

Our pastures are flooding with so much rain but does drain down within several hours of the rain stopping. Here's a picture of the Galapagos winter pasture. I did build the night houses on an elevated pad to ensure the night house does not flood with them locked inside. This is as high as the water gets in these past storms:

View attachment 353250

View attachment 353251
Well at least you won't have to run your sprinklers for a day or two... :D

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
southern Oregon,

I'm in southern Oregon 30 minutes north of the CA border and although we are used to rain, the WINDS are HORRIBLE!!

I'm originally from SoCal and have many years experience with the Santa Ana winds. But the wind we've had here the last week is worse than any I've ever encountered.

The wind ripped the shingles off my tortoises night house! I don't even know where they went. Blew right out of my yard.
Our spa cover has blown off a few times despite being secured- our fence has blown down in 3 places (not fully blown down but very wobbly and significantly leaning and in need of repair)- decor and trash has blown everywhere and I have many friends with tree damage on their properties.

We lost power a few times. once it was only for a few hours in the middle of the day and a couple times it was momentary.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California

View attachment 353250

View attachment 353251
Yes this is our second power outage this week. Power went out at 4am this morning. Two power poles blew over and broke, down the street from us. They are working on replacing the poles now. Hope they get us up and running soon! We have had some wind damage of our own as well. Lots of tree branches coming down thankfully not on our house. Shingles blowing off the roof and fence posts being ripped out of the ground.

navycop2004

Oregon
I'm in southern Oregon 30 minutes north of the CA border and although we are used to rain, the WINDS are HORRIBLE!!

I'm originally from SoCal and have many years experience with the Santa Ana winds. But the wind we've had here the last week is worse than any I've ever encountered.

The wind ripped the shingles off my tortoises night house! I don't even know where they went. Blew right out of my yard.
Our spa cover has blown off a few times despite being secured- our fence has blown down in 3 places (not fully blown down but very wobbly and significantly leaning and in need of repair)- decor and trash has blown everywhere and I have many friends with tree damage on their properties.

We lost power a few times. once it was only for a few hours in the middle of the day and a couple times it was momentary.
Where abouts in oregon are you, brookings?

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest

same here...my shingles landed 4 houses down....