Naomz

Location (City and/or State)
Boise Idaho
Hi!! I am getting a beautiful western hermann in the next week. She is my dream tortoise, I at first ending up buying a zoo med tortoise house, but I have noticed the benefits of a closed chamber enclosure. I am wanting the best care of my little one, I do want to make sure her lighting is correct, I am planning to get a flood bulb 65 watt for her basking spot, Any recommendations on light fixture for the bulb??

I am worried about the light explosions since I do own a parrot and that is a big concern. I may move the zoo med outside, we live in idaho nice hot and dry. But baby torts need quite a bit of humidity. Which worried me after I got the zoo med, I want to make sure shes getting her humidity and being a healthy tort. I do have a temp gun, and a hydrogometer on the way. I am planning on mixing her substrate with some coco coir and top soil, all organic no plant food bits we are going to a plant nursery to pick up her substrate. I am also getting her a terracotta saucer for water, along with a cement piece for food. I am really looking forward to having her home, I hear shes a very outgoing and spunky lil girl!

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
congrats welcome to the forum. where are you getting your tort from? What locale as well? The only question I think you asked was type of light fixture. a 10" dome light will work. just don't use the clamp. make or buy a light stand. a closed chamber is best. you can use plexiglass to close the open part of the tort house. you can search posts here on ways to do it. Good Luck

Naomz

Boise Idaho
I got her from Tortstork, I'll buy a light stand, and the plexiglass I actually was just looking up on it so I'll do that for sure! She will be upgrading in cage size, moving to an outdoor enclosure eventually. Our yard is perfect and pretty large. We have raised garden beds we make ourselves, I'm just nervous about the baby stage lol. Thank you for the amazing help

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
Tortstork is awesome. You should be getting a healthy tort for sure. The hatchling stage is nerve racking. I think its harder on us than them though. work on getting your temps and humidity dialed in and you should be ok. This forum is great for finding answers. If you cant find them don't be afraid to ask.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I love my Western Hermann. They are so cute! Congrats

TaylorTortoise

Abington
congrats welcome to the forum. where are you getting your tort from? What locale as well? The only question I think you asked was type of light fixture. a 10" dome light will work. just don't use the clamp. make or buy a light stand. a closed chamber is best. you can use plexiglass to close the open part of the tort house. you can search posts here on ways to do it. Good Luck
Does it have to be a 10” dome for the lower wattage flood bulbs? I have a regular medium sized ceramic dome fixture. Would that work?

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Welcome. Have a good read of the care sheet, avoid soil and sand as they manage it get it in the food and soon their stomach is filled. Best substrate is orchid bark as you can keep it damp and they can burrow in it.

Your on the correct site for help and advise.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Hi!! I am getting a beautiful western hermann in the next week. She is my dream tortoise, I at first ending up buying a zoo med tortoise house, but I have noticed the benefits of a closed chamber enclosure. I am wanting the best care of my little one, I do want to make sure her lighting is correct, I am planning to get a flood bulb 65 watt for her basking spot, Any recommendations on light fixture for the bulb??

I am worried about the light explosions since I do own a parrot and that is a big concern. I may move the zoo med outside, we live in idaho nice hot and dry. But baby torts need quite a bit of humidity. Which worried me after I got the zoo med, I want to make sure shes getting her humidity and being a healthy tort. I do have a temp gun, and a hydrogometer on the way. I am planning on mixing her substrate with some coco coir and top soil, all organic no plant food bits we are going to a plant nursery to pick up her substrate. I am also getting her a terracotta saucer for water, along with a cement piece for food. I am really looking forward to having her home, I hear shes a very outgoing and spunky lil girl!
What do you mean by light explosion?