Wet poop- Leopard tortoise

OsoriosTurtoises

Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles Ca
Hello everyone. I’ve had my leopard for tortoise since about September. At first I thought his wet poop was due to stress of travel (1 day overnight). But it hasn’t changed since. Took him to vet, said he looks healthy and poop test came out negative for parasites. He eats greens and enjoys mazuri pellets as well in his diet.

Has anyone ever seen or encountered anything similar? Thank you
I’ll attach photos next time he poops.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello everyone. I’ve had my leopard for tortoise since about September. At first I thought his wet poop was due to stress of travel (1 day overnight). But it hasn’t changed since. Took him to vet, said he looks healthy and poop test came out negative for parasites. He eats greens and enjoys mazuri pellets as well in his diet.

What comes out is a product of what goes in. What "greens" are you feeding him? What size tortoise? What size enclosure? What substrate? What temps and humidity? How often are you soaking?

Have you seen these threads:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You likely are feeding the wrong greens. So many are just water which will make a watery poop.
Romaine and head lettuce are two of those.
Feed more endive, cactus, dandelion, arugula, mustard greens, these can all be found and in the right grocery store.
If you can add more natural items like weeds, flowers, leaves, do that. Otherwise you can also order these foods that are prepared to be added to your greens to make them healthier.
@Kapidolo Farms makes and sells these.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
My leopard's poop changes based on his diet.

For example, during our warm weather months, he exclusively grazes on the weeds and grass outside. His poop is long like a dog;s poop log but grassy looking. Kinda like a horse's poop-ish? but it is wetter than horse poop and smells WAY worse LOL!! These are the ideal poops.
During our colder winter, he isn't grazing all day, everyday so I supplement his regular diet with additional items. It is usually romaine, spring mix and/or green leaf lettuces with the occasional Mazuri pellets and various other "good foods" when I can get my hands on them. However, because he has more romaine at this time of year, his poops are definitely wetter. I hesitate to say "runny" because my definition of runny might be different than yours. They are not liquid by any means. But softer, like cow pies. Apparently I like to compare my tortoise's poop to livestock poop...

I say all this to say, Tom is right. What comes out reflects what goes in. If you predominantly feed grocery store greens, I can see why you experience a wetter stool. Living in SoCal, you should have no problem finding good foods. Broadleaf weeds and grass clipping from outdoors can be harvested all year long where you are. I used to live there so I know. I bet my tort misses it! Anthropomorphism. Maybe it's me who misses living there.

Hope some of this helps.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

An easing into higher fiber can help tighten stool/poop. Best not to make big diet changes all at once.

Please see https://www.kapidolofarms.com/shop/?filters=product_cat[184]

I'd suggest the variety pack at $29.99 - and again, ease into it.

Tell me in the purchase you are responding to this post (instructions to vendor) and I'll ad a bonus product for you.

Reactions: Ink