What’s going on with my tortoise!?!?

Tori67

Location (City and/or State)
Connecticut
Everytime I take my tort out of his hide under the basking light, he goes right back to his hide. What’s going on?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Could be temperatures, could be something with that light, could be not enough other light, could be a tort that isn't used to new surroundings, could be many things.

Show us some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. What size is the enclosure? What substrate? Is it damp?

Tori67

Connecticut
Could be temperatures, could be something with that light, could be not enough other light, could be a tort that isn't used to new surroundings, could be many things.

Show us some pics of the tortoise and enclosure. What size is the enclosure? What substrate? Is it damp?
His enclosure is a 6x3 and his substrate is a mix of top soil, coco fiber and peat moss. It gets misted every morning but not soaking wet. I open the tops to let more light in. He is active but his appetite still isn’t good (as you can see from the leftover greens)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 9

Tori67

Connecticut
I am switching to a separate uvb (t5) and basking bulbs. This behavior began recently. And he’s never been this way before. Also, it looks super wet because I was misting his lettuce to get the dirt off. I have a solar meter and it’s between 3 and 4 always

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am switching to a separate uvb (t5) and basking bulbs. This behavior began recently. And he’s never been this way before. Also, it looks super wet because I was misting his lettuce to get the dirt off. I have a solar meter and it’s between 3 and 4 always
What type of light were you using before?

That water bowl isn't suitable for tortoises. Use a terra cotta saucer sunk into the substrate instead.

Soil is not a good substrate for tortoises. It is made from composted yard waste and it could be toxic. The people who make it do not intend for small animals to be living on it.

Peat moss can burn their plastron, so that shouldn't be used either.

Coco coir is safe, but very messy for larger tortoises. Fine grade orchid bark works best.

What are the four temperatures? Warm side, cool side, basking area and over right low?

Tori67

Connecticut
He never goes into it, just drinks from it. Had a big saucer but he just runs through it so I downgraded to a smaller one to drink from, and give him more space to run. He gets baths regardless. I do have a big saucer in his outdoor enclosure so he can cool off.

The soil is 100% organic and natural, no fertilizers or pesticides, I was going to switch anyways because it definitely is messy!!

Light was a mega ray MVB

And he has 95-100° basking spot, warm side is around 80°, cool side is 70-75° ish, ambient is 75°

I’m trying to figure out what changed for his behavior to be like this now, thank you for helping me 🥺

Gijoux

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He never goes into it, just drinks from it. Had a big saucer but he just runs through it so I downgraded to a smaller one to drink from, and give him more space to run. He gets baths regardless. I do have a big saucer in his outdoor enclosure so he can cool off.

The soil is 100% organic and natural, no fertilizers or pesticides, I was going to switch anyways because it definitely is messy!!

Light was a mega ray MVB

And he has 95-100° basking spot, warm side is around 80°, cool side is 70-75° ish, ambient is 75°

I’m trying to figure out what changed for his behavior to be like this now, thank you for helping me 🥺
The problem with so called "Organic and natural soils" is that they are called that, but they are not. These soils are produced from green waste from everyones clippings and cuttings (including cities green waste) and unfortunately these ingredients include poisonous plants, plastics, plants that were sprayed with round-up and fertilizes (when they were living in someones yard). I have visited a plant where they produce soils and saw the entire process and believe me, you do not want your tortoise sitting on or God forbid eating these soils. They are called organic because these ingredients are from organic matter, but they are anything but organic. You will find that buying Orchid bark from your local nursery or Reptile-Bark from pet stores your tortoise will do much better.