What’s the best tortoise for me

jjaymeza

Location (City and/or State)
Fort Worth
Hey everyone I am just wanting to build a tortoise sanctuary in my dallas Texas home and was wondering what kind of tortoise would be the best type to raise based on the environment and dietary needs. I’m currently working on Sulcatas but i haven’t looked into any others. I’m fluid with the kind of care methods to use but In the future I’m wanting to breed a specific kind and start a farm so where’s a good place to begin basically (other friendly breeds to introduce myself to)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Anything you get will not be able to live with your sulcatas. Other then that get what species you are passionate about having and can afford and have room for.

jjaymeza

Fort Worth
Anything you get will not be able to live with your sulcatas. Other then that get what species you are passionate about having and can afford and have room for.

Yeah I actually heard not to mix. I guess I’m asking how do I know if I would like another tortoise breed. Cause I’d hate to just purchase one of a different breed and not know fully how to care for it. But I’m wanting to expand my knowledge.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Well, only you can know that. Read all the caresheets and look at pictures of them and see if one pulls at you. The leopards are the same care as the sulcatas. The PP leopards are harder to come by, so in higher demand then the Babcocki leopards or a sulcata. Then there are smaller species that are harder to come by, like the Pancakes, Elongated, Hinged species, Marginated, just too name a few.