What’s the easiest way to block the gate from tortoise being able to dig it’s way out?

Bowi

Location (City and/or State)
Ca
We have our entire yard fenced with block wall. This one gate is the only possible way out. I’ve debated solutions and wasn’t sure what makes most sense. What are others doing?

Maddoggy

Vero Beach Florida
I have been steady working on sulcata enclosures for a few months now .If I see a picture of the area in question I may have several solutions that will help.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Another member has a leopard that she didn't want getting out their get if it were accidentally left open. She put boards across the opening at ground level that the tort couldn't climb over but humans can step over. Keep in mind leopards don't dig tunnels like a sulcata does. Howeber this may still work.

dd33

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Florida
If you want a barrier they can't walk over if the gate is left open you can put a wood board across the bottom. If you are only worried about him digging under you can lay down a section of wire panel that extends inside/outside the gate by a few feet. I use sections of hog panels from Tractor Supply for this.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I used rectangular stepping stones at the bottom of my fences ( called masonry caps).

Russian tortoise yard 5-11-20.jpg

Jenna524

Central Valley, CA
When we built our fence and gate, we added long paver stones into the ground (about 15 or 16 inches deep24B45F5C-BBF3-4B31-A2C7-D06943B59C19.png). We covered them with dirt, so we don’t even see it. There is one corner in the back of the yard where our Sulcata tried to dig, and he only made it 1/4-1/2 of the way down the paver before giving up. If he lodged it loose, it’s possible he could move it. But we check regularly, and can refill with dirt as needed.

tag78

Mojave Desert
I realize this doesn't help with your solution and I don't know if this the standard but as soon as we got Herm, he went to work digging a burrow (in the middle of his area under a large creosote bush) and he never attempted to dig anywhere else. It's been 12 years now. I guess he is happy with his creation.

Bowi

Ca
I realize this doesn't help with your solution and I don't know if this the standard but as soon as we got Herm, he went to work digging a burrow (in the middle of his area under a large creosote bush) and he never attempted to dig anywhere else. It's been 12 years now. I guess he is happy with his creation.

This does help, it’s good to know! Thanks