What’s the youngest age tortoise suitable for a tortoise table in north west U.K.?

Clare_Watson

Location (City and/or State)
Southport, UK
Hi everyone
I’m getting a tortoise! So excited, but a total beginner. I’d like to get a tortoise table and would want one around 3ft x 3ft to start with with the idea of expanding the size of the table as they get older and bigger. Eventually looking at potential conversion of one end of the dining room or converting the outhouse. Would have an outside enclosure to use as much as possible when warm enough and would be wanting to hibernate from when a baby. But I’m reading all sorts of stuff and I understand that humidity is the main issue with tables and babies. Is spraying the substrate daily, creating a humid enclosure/cave near the basking area and bathing daily enough to maintain hydration and humidity for a baby? If not, at what age is a table appropriate for? Thank you

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
What type of tortoise are you getting? I would not use a table for anything other than a Testudo (or Agrionemys). Even then, for a baby a humid chamber will produce better results. Their scutes do grow differently than other tortoises, so they are not as prone to pyramiding.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hi everyone
I’m getting a tortoise! So excited, but a total beginner. I’d like to get a tortoise table and would want one around 3ft x 3ft to start with with the idea of expanding the size of the table as they get older and bigger. Eventually looking at potential conversion of one end of the dining room or converting the outhouse. Would have an outside enclosure to use as much as possible when warm enough and would be wanting to hibernate from when a baby. But I’m reading all sorts of stuff and I understand that humidity is the main issue with tables and babies. Is spraying the substrate daily, creating a humid enclosure/cave near the basking area and bathing daily enough to maintain hydration and humidity for a baby? If not, at what age is a table appropriate for? Thank you
Hello. I really can't answer your questions except for one issue. I've seen evidence of how important the correct humidity is. Since I've been on Tortoise Forum I've made some changes to my tortoise's enclosure. The results have been really nice. Since you are getting a baby you have a lot of time to plan your actual tortoise table when it comes time for that. I've read that the correct humidity for a baby is the number one most important thing you can do, along with diet, uv, etc. Or good husbandry. But the correct humidity is still number one. Good luck.

Clare_Watson

Southport, UK
What type of tortoise are you getting? I would not use a table for anything other than a Testudo (or Agrionemys). Even then, for a baby a humid chamber will produce better results. Their scutes do grow differently than other tortoises, so they are not as prone to pyramiding.

Clare_Watson

Southport, UK
I was thinking a hermann’s or horsefield, is it definitely horsefield you’re referring to? What age would be appropriate for a table do you think?

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I was thinking a hermann’s or horsefield, is it definitely horsefield you’re referring to? What age would be appropriate for a table do you think?
Both of those species are perfect for beginners. I chose a Horsefield because I was a beginner. But also because they are tiny like me. My guy was around 5 years old so I didn't get to go through the baby stage. I don't regret that because I didn't really know enough for preventing all the downfalls like pyrimiding. Whatever you do, if you get a baby they'll need their specific humidity. An adult's requirements are closer to ours so it's easier to take good care of them. Just remember one thing. They are a small tortoise with a giant personality.