What’s those small red bugs? Will them be harmful to tortoise?

qiangzhu

Location (City and/or State)
Washington
IMG_5028.jpg
Now the weather is very good and I like to put my tortoise in my yard to enjoy the sunshine. But I see there are a lot of those tiny red bugs. Sometimes they will climb onto the Tortoise’s body.

Will they be harmful to tortoise health?

xMario

Germany
View attachment 271844
Now the weather is very good and I like to put my tortoise in my yard to enjoy the sunshine. But I see there are a lot of those tiny red bugs. Sometimes they will climb onto the Tortoise’s body.

Will they be harmful to tortoise health?
Maybe Trombidiidae, Stigmaeidae, Phytoseiidae, Anystidae

Milben Acari

They are also in my garden and many of them they are not harmful they only attack other small insects ur tort is not in danger

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
The only experience I have with small red bugs like that is on caged birds. When one covers the bird cage at night then in the morning looks at the white cloth covering the bird cage, one may see tiny red bugs on the cloth. These are mites and are a big cause of irritation to the birds, which must be treated to kill the mites.

Sevin dust is not harmful to your tortoise. Maybe you can put down a thin coating of Sevin dust to see if it makes the bugs go away (or, hopefully kills them).

katieandiggy

5 Year Member
Suffolk, United Kingdom
Red mites are what affect birds. When I was cleaning my Chicken coop last summer a saw a couple but they are a big problem for birds, you can loose birds to a red mite infestation. Red mites start off black/grey and only turn red when they have sucked on the birds blood.