what a diffrence!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sara

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wyoming
so with the colder weather now setting in, Bert has become a little slower. I was having the hardest time keeping temps up! poor guy was under the heat lamp all day. I felt like such a bad mamma!
But we fixed that problem. I got a good oil heater and a new warm mist humidifyer. Holy cow its a sauna in here! And he is soo happy now! so active and once agian his silly courious self! Amazing what a few temps can make!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
What type of humidifier did you get, and where did you get it? Sounds like a good thing to have!

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Neal Butler said:
What type of humidifier did you get, and where did you get it? Sounds like a good thing to have!
Its a great thing to have! And the small oil space heater is an added bounus. otherwise i would have to have the whole house heated all day long. ug.
I got it at Wal-Greens, but i think you can get them at anydrug store or wal mart. durring the summer i was usuing a regular cool mist humidifyer wich was fine cause it gets pretty hot here. But since the cooler temps started i just couldnt keep the warmth and humidity up. So be sure you get a Warm Mist Humidifyer. Mine is made by Vicks, and works really well! dont know how good its gonna be for my computer though! But i have no place else to put either Bert or my computer! So we gotta share the room. I have noticed i dont stay in here as long now!:D

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
It is nice to be able to set a small room aside to heat/humidify/light overall, isn't it? I found that if I had a good background climate, I could make a nice hot spot with a MVB/UVB bulb.

Of course, I got some mold or something growing in a couple places on a couple walls, so next time I am going to make a sort of tent/greenhouse in the room to heat and humidify. I can't wait!

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Do you run your humidifier all day, or do you have it on some type of schedule? I'm intrigued by this idea.

bettinge

5 Year Member
Upstate NY
They say the warm air humidifiers are best (for humans anyway) since the water discharged is actually boiled off. The cool humidifiers spin off all of the minerals in the water and create dust. Unfortunately its hard (maybe impossible) to find a warm air humidifier with a humidity control built in.

I unfortunatly have the cool air one because of the automatic control.

sara

5 Year Member
Wyoming
Neal Butler said:
Do you run your humidifier all day, or do you have it on some type of schedule? I'm intrigued by this idea.
I am still expirementing with how long i use it. But so far I turn it on in the morning and let it run all day. I turn it off at night when he goes to bed. But the room still stays nice and warm beacuse of the small heater, so i dont worry about drafts.
Its been working very well. His shell looks darker as does his skin. Because its gotten so cold now i was running the house heater more and i think it was drying out his skin.
So between the cypress mulch and the warm humidifyer the humidity has been a steady 70%. He really seems to be thriving on it.
But it gets too warm for me!

Madkins007 said:
It is nice to be able to set a small room aside to heat/humidify/light overall, isn't it? I found that if I had a good background climate, I could make a nice hot spot with a MVB/UVB bulb.

Of course, I got some mold or something growing in a couple places on a couple walls, so next time I am going to make a sort of tent/greenhouse in the room to heat and humidify. I can't wait!
I guess it would be called a micro enviroment? So far no issues with mold, And its been going long enough to where i would think i would have found it by now.
It was such an issue. Keeping up the conditions. I knew something wasnt right because he was under the heat lamp all day.He stopped usuing the uvb lite and would go hide. I think it was too bright. so when that went off and the heat lamp was on he would come out and sit under that. I havent used the uv lite in about a week now. but he is across the room from the window and i get him out when the weather permits. I read that R.F. dont require as much sun as some others, but dont keep him in the dark either.
If i had plants in there i think i would capture a natural enviroment. But he eats everything that goes in.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I remember last winter--- if you went into the basement where Mortimer lived for the 5 cold months---you had to be in a bathing suit. Morty THRIVED and I maintained my "weight" out of pure vanity.

Status
Not open for further replies.